Drum Track Display in the Project Window

Cubase 6 displays drum tracks (with a drum map) differently now than in previous versions. I thought I could get used to it, but that’s not happening and it’s starting to piss me off.

C6 now shows all of the midi notes in a section on the lane. If you add, say, a cymbal, the display will update and scale to show that midi note in the display. That’s not, in itself, bad. But now the tracks look different from each other; no consistency. If you have an identical chorus part except for one cymbal hit, those two will display quite differently.

I am extremely visually oriented (which is why I work in audio … Wait, what?), and I use my drum tracks as visual references for the parts of the song. I know, there are countless other ways to reference song position, but this is the way I’ve always done it and it has worked beautifully. Until now.

An option to go back to static scaling on the displayed midi drum map parts would save me massive headache! In fact, I don’t really understand what the intended benefit of that change was. It has absolutely no value to me.

I don’t mind getting used to new things, but this one is really annoying, and it’s not getting any better.

No one cares about this one either, huh?

I don’t understand the reason for the change!!! Was displaying static midi information a problem previously? If Steinberg decides to change something on a whim, it would be nice to be able to disable the change to get back the functionality Cubase users are used to.

Though C6 offers some powerful new stuff, this is by far the WORST update as far as small and pointless changes to PERFECTLY GOOD functionality. Several things that I have done habitually since SX work differently in 6. If there is a valid reason, I will accept the change. Many of these changes seem simply arbitrary.

STOP IT. Stop changing stuff we rely on unless there is a good reason to change it!!!

I think there’s a tinkerer in the drum editor development room :imp: We just get used to things working in a certain way, then it changes, sometimes pointlessly, sometimes negatively. In the previous forum there’s a very long thread about changes to the drum editor behaviour in C5 (can’t remember the iteration when it changed). Maybe the “niggles” are introduced so that Steiny can say “this issue is fixed in the next paid upgrade”, thus dragging us by the short and curlies towards the credit card!

Nah - that’s not fair… :confused:

I think personally there are a lot of changes in the graphics dept. of Cubase, which eventually will be a win.

Remember before 5.5, the general graphical sluggishness that was addressed in 5.5.3? Well that’s all gone, so now I guess we must wait for the next update which will put us back on the road to app stability, albeit with an enhanced tool/feature set.

Those ‘niggles’ directly and negatively effect my workflow and efficiency, and I doubt I’m the only one. I found myself browsing prices online for other DAW software. I have been a Cubase user since 1997, and for the first time I’m starting to have doubts about my continued Cubase loyalty.

The DAW market is WAY too competitive for Steinberg to use ‘niggles’ to keep their customers buying. What it does is push customers away, because no one likes to be played with in that manner. I hope you are wrong about the ‘niggle’ tactic.

Gabealicious - I’ve been using Cubase since the Pro-24 and Atari days. With all its imperfections I’ve never found DAW software that competes, at least not in every department. If you’ve upgraded from SX3 you have a big learning curve. It was quite a jump from Cubase 4 to Cubase 5. Get acclimatised, it’s worth it. :sunglasses:

I’m not sure why you think I upgraded from SX3. I have updated to the new version at every revision, since the original 3.55 through VST 5, SX1/2/3, 4, 5, and now 6. I would not be complaining if I made such a big leap in versions. I’m trying to say that things have been more consistent between the versions, until now. Things I got in the habit of doing in SX have been solid through 4 and 5, but changed in 6. Several of them, and definitely important enough to make me complain.

As I have said, I don’t mind dealing with change. But certain things have been changed for no particular reason. That is my point.