dspMixFx 1.5 Loopback Modes

Hi

I watched Dom’s excellent videos of the new dspMixFx features, especially the Loopback video. But I don’t get the difference between the modes.

Loopback Modes:
Off → Only input is routed to DAW and video meeting software.
Live Cast → Mic inputs and all computer audio is routed to DAW and meeting software.
Voice Chat → Same as off? Because only mic inputs are routed to DAW and meeting software, right?

So what’s the difference between Off and Voice Chat?

What I’m missing is a hybrid. I’m teaching to game sound students. So I’m talking, they’re talking, and I need to send them my computer audio. Ideally without them getting the feedback / echo when they talk.

For this, the UR-C driver would have to know what software is sending audio to it. What software has set the UR-C interface as its output. And in the MixFx I should then pick the sources I want to send into the Loopback. This would allow me to send my mic and the DAW or game I’m showing to the feed, while not feeding my students or their audio back, creating echos and noise cancellations.

Sort of a mixer of virtual inputs of all softwares currently sending audio to the UR-C interface. It should detect those sources. And I as user could cherry pick what I want to route into the Loopback. This would be great.

Currently I need an extra software for that. On the Mac I use Loopback from Rogue Amoeba.

Would be great to add that as a feature request.

3 Likes

When loopback is off the device can be used as microphone but only first 2 channels are recognized by system. Dspmix is mostly bypassed unless you choose to record the fx.

With live chat mode all inputs including fx, fader, pan and reverb send are mixed into those first 2 channels and looped back to system. Daw channel is ignored. This is helpful when you use the same device as playback device. As any incoming audio from meeting software would otherwise be looped back.

Thanks, that clears up the confusion around the different modes.

An “intelligent” Live Cast mode that feeds computer audio back but without any conferencing software would be great though.

I must admit to being confused as well. I’m considering a 22C as a secondary “home office” interface, and have not yet been able to discern whether the audio coming from the conferencing app (Zoom, Skype etc) can have FX applied (lo-cutting all the others is a must, most of them use crappy built-in mics in crappy reverberating rooms) before being sent to the outs. Is there an updated block diagram somewhere?

j,

Hey. I’ve seen a diagram. I think it was in the support section somewhere where you have the manuals for the 22C. I am not familiar with reading these so I had my difficulties, but there definitely was.

Yep, there’s one in the manual, but I’m not sure if it applies to the 1.5 update. If it does, it seems like you can’t apply fx to app playback – which makes the UR a lot less desirable for video conferencing.

j,

If I use the live cast mode with UR44c interface, will that mix all my Six input channels (4 mic pre and 2 line ins) to the meeting software (eg : zoom, Skype). ?

I think so. As long as you have the mix knob turned to input.

But no mix knob is there for ur44c, any idea that it can be done in the software ?

Unfortunately I only have a UR22C and I’m pretty sure it can be done. Don’t know why UR44C is different.

Yes, all inputs should be looped back. I have used ur44c with skype and zoom quite a lot recently. I am using the voice chat mode.

With live cast all inputs and also daw channel is looped back. You probably don’t want to loop back the daw channel with skype. As this is where the signal from the other person appears.

We all know the on-board Reverb cannot be sent to DAW, but apparently it will be passed to the loopback output. Can anyone confirm thats the case?

Yes, it is recorded with loopback.

Does anyone know what new mode is the same as the old mode which was simply ‘on’.
If I forgot to turn loopback off then open any Cubase project I get an instant barrage of feedback, despite all inputs and adat inputs being muted. The old mode wouldn’t do that because because you had to setup the routing.
I just don’t understand these new modes, and why they got rid of the old one.
Thanks

Hello! We’re facing the same issue here, please if someone knows how to make it okay.