Dual Boot win10 - worth it these days?

I have read a few threads around this topic in the past but nothing that is really up to date with current OS and components, so I thought I’d ask again to keep the question current.

I am currently configuring a new system to replace the one listed in my sig below, as that has finally reached its limitations.

Without going into too many details - it will be x99a with 32G ram and intel processor, using SSD and M.2 drive for OS. and I will start using a Focusrite 18i20. I am a composer mainly using samples/Kontakt etc.

And here is my question - in the past I have always used Dual Boot systems, not with different OS but the same with one day to day system for work/home stuff, and then a stripped down OS (currently Win7) for my DAW. This means I can leave the DAW boot very tidy and clean. Its always worked really well.

I am going to make to move to Win10 on the latest system but I am wondering if, with all the technological advances over the last few years, is this dual boot scenario really necessary these days? Also, I am going to put the OS onto the M.2 drive and move the users folders etc to another drive - and I can see that this may cause a few issues on the Dual boot.

Is it really worth it?? :nerd:

I believe in dual boot for the reason you stated – keep the DAW configuration lean and clean. It’s nasty business to have background processes running when your DAW is struggling to work in real time. Win 10 (and win 8) has “active tiles”. Somebody thought it would be kewl for the OS to monitor world events in the background. Imagine my pleasure when I got a notice about some college basketball score while recording a track. I have never cared about college sports. You have to disable those things, Cortana, and even avoid anti-virus software. Any of that will blissfully and obliviously trip your real time audio work.

I put the 2nd OS (fedora 24) on its own drive and use the BIOS boot menu to get there. Linux may not be your thing, but I’d say dual boot is still a good idea. Sharing information between configurations should be a controlled matter as well. I doubt you’d have trouble if you create a non-system NTFS partition somewhere for this purpose.

Yes - I’m coming round to the realisation that the Dual boot is probably the way to go - I’d just hoped that will modern efficiencies in machines, lots of the old problems wouldn’t now be there.

Thanks for the heads-up on the background processes though in windows 10 - that is without doubt something that I will want to stop.