Dual Boot

After spending $2000 on a new Windows 7 PC, I find that my MIDI interface and Yamaha 01X will no longer work. Is it feasible to install Windows XP on the same computer and then install the drivers and stuff under XP and use XP for music only and Windows 7 the rest of the time? If so, can this be set up so that you don’t have to choose an OS every time the machine starts, but can select and change to XP if needed?

If so, can this be set up so that you don’t have to choose an OS every time the machine starts, but can select and change to XP if needed?

No. If you do a dual boot, you will have to reboot to get to the other OS. You can not have two OSs running simul.

Cheers.

can you have the machine default into Windows 7 unless you do something (Like pressing F10) in which case the boot would stop and you could choose XP.

Yes…

When you set up a dual boot, there are two options.

1. Hidden partitions. Upon power up, you get a screen, which asks you to choose the OS. You will not boot into an OS until you make a choice.

2. Normal paritions. You make one the default, and upon power up, get a “DOS screen” that asks you which OS you want. If you don’t choose #2, you will boot into #1 automatically, after an amount of time specified by you.

Cheers.

Thanks. That’s incredibly helpful. It is beginning to feel like Grounhog Day. I ordered this computer on January 8th and I get so far through setting it up and hit an obstacle and have to start over. The )1X was an insummountable obstacle. I hope this fixes it…anybody got a copy of Windows XP they don’t want??