Dual Monitor Setup Help

I just upgraded from Elements 9 to Artist 9.5. At the same time, I decided to set up a second monitor. I simply want to have the project window showing on one monitor and the mixconsole on the other. I have set up both monitors in Windows 7. They’re currently displaying the same window , so I guess I’m part way there. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of for instructions on how to achieve what I’m looking for (Manual, Youtube, Forums), without success. I’d be grateful for some help on how to get the project window on monitor A and the mixconsole on monitor B.

Hi,

It seems you mirror the screen. Change the Windows Settings, please.

Thank you, Martin. Seems like I’ve already done that. Selecting Win+P on my keyboard gives me options, including: Duplicate and Extend. Selecting Extend turns one monitor off. Selecting Duplicate has both monitors displating the same screen content. That seems to be the correct setting within Windows. When I’m in Cubase, both monitors show whatever window I select, for example either the project or the Mixconsole (or both if the Mixconsole is minimised). What I’m looking for is advice on how to get the project window on one monitor and the Mixconsole on the other.

Thank you, Martin. Seems like I’ve already done that. Selecting Win+P on my keyboard gives me options, including: Duplicate and Extend. Selecting Extend turns one monitor off. Selecting Duplicate has both monitors displaying the same screen content. That seems to be the correct setting within Windows. When I’m in Cubase, both monitors show whatever window I select, for example either the project or the Mixconsole (or both if the Mixconsole is minimised). What I’m looking for is advice on how to get the project window on one monitor and the Mixconsole on the other.

you must select extend… duplicate, the word says itself, duplicates… i use 3 monitors, with extend (i use a nvidia card, and the settings via nvidia, but it is same thing.).

EDIT: there is no correct setting within windows, i is what you want; and adjust to your needs, that is the correct setting…

Yes, extend is the correct option.

I have that on both my Windows set-ups each has 2 monitors and I have arrange window on one and the mixer on the other.

Yes, extend is the correct option.

Thanks for the posts, guys. I may be getting somewhere, but not quite there. I’ve selected ‘extend’ in Windows. Now what I have is only the transport panel on monitor A (with the desktop showing) and the project window in monitor B. When I click on the Cubase icon in the bottom toolbar in monitor A, the project window disappears from monitor B, but leaves the top toolbar (File, Edit, Project etc.) Is that a clue to where I’m going wrong? In Windows control panel, I’ve selected in turn both monitor options, but get the same thing, i.e. transport panel only on A and project window on B.

Also, the transport panel (the only thing which shows on monitor A) can only be selected and deselected from the Transport menu in the project window on monitor B.

I Windows or your gfx driver software you can choose if the main screen is left or right.
Cubase just opens on the main screen, where it shows the menu bar. Just move the mixer to the other screen and save, it should open where it last was used. Actually save is probably not necessary.

I’ve set the gfx card to multiple displays. The boxes next each monitor are checked. Monitor 1 is the monitor from which I launched Cubase.
In Windows, both monitors appear. They are set to ‘extend these displays’. The project shows on the bottom taskbar of monitor 1. where I have the project window and Mixconsole open. When I click on either of them, they appear full screen in monitor 2. I can toggle between them from the taskbar on monitor 1, but they don’t appear on monitor 1, only monitor 2. All that appears on monitor 1 is the normal Windows desktop plus the Cubase transport panel. Could there be another configuration setting somewhere which I’ve missed?

How are the screens setup in Windows ?
1 left and 2 right or 2 left and 1 right. You can drag the screen in the setup to change places.
There Schuld be nothing in Cubase to setup, unless the Artist version also like Pro has Workspaces?

Thanks, peakae. In windows, the screens are set up as 1 and 2, with 1 as the main monitor. Each monitor is recognised by its own model reference. Under ‘Multiple displays’ I have selected ‘Extend these displays’. The same applies to the settings for multiple displays in my Nvidia graphics card. Both monitors are recognised and I have selected 1 as the main monitor. What I am now seeing when Cubase is launched is the project window on monitor 1 and the normal Windows desktop on monitor 2. Monitor 2 has the Windows taskbar along the bottom, while monitor 1 (with the project window showing) doesn’t have the Windows taskbar. When I click on the Cubase icon in the taskbar on monitor 2, it toggles the project Window on and off on monitor 1. My version of Cubase (Artist 9.5) does have the Workspaces option. When I select 'Second monitor from that menu, the project window moves to monitor 2, and leaves the Cubase menu bar (file, edit, project etc.) at the top of the screen. That menu bar is missing from the project window showing on monitor 2. So, Cubase is partially split between the two monitors, but in a weird way. I can’t be far away, surely?

I have the same setup.

Press F3 (mixer) and drag it over to monitor 2.
Hope this helps.

Yeah this^^ And also you can drag the menu bar to two too if you like, it’s like a separate window.
And in the windows screen settings you can move the displays around too, like I have a laptop and above it a bigger screen:)

Got it, finally. I’d been doing everything correctly (setup and configuration), except the dragging bit. Couldn’t figure out how to use a mouse to drag the mixconsole from the project window over to a blank monitor screen. Mixconsole has to be minimised before attempting to drag. I’ve now got the project window on one screen and the mixconsole on another. Very pleased. My thanks to all those who took the time to post. I got there in the end.

Awesome, but it should work with dragging full screen windows too:)