Dual monitor setup?

As an update, I just went for one fairly large 4K monitor since I would have had to leave one permanently in portrait to fit two. This desk took me around 3 weeks to make (I’m a pretty slow woodworker), but I’m really happy with the final result and my current workspace configuration.

Very nice! Thanks for giving up an update. I have a similar layout, but have my monitor mounted on the wall.

Are those matching coasters on either side of the keyboard and mouse?
(Lots of coffee?)

It really looks beautiful, a far cry from my veritable rabbit warren of paper and equipment.

I had some scraps of Zebrawood left over so I made 2 coasters, one for espresso and one for Scotch :smiley:

1 Like

The balanced approach then. :laughing:

Necrobumping my own thread. I finally went to the dual monitor approach last week, and am absolutely loving it so far! I should have made the switch years ago. Orchestral part layout is so much easier with the part in Engrave / Portrait and the score in Write / Landscape! Anytime I realize I need to add a cue, I can simply add it in the Write / Landscape monitor and boom, it instantly appears in the Engrave / Portrait part. I also had a ton of proofing against the composer’s Finale files for this job, and using the portrait display to view his original (as @benwiggy recommended 3.5 years ago) worked well. I had basically tried doing this before on a single monitor with the various Windows desktop commands and shortcuts, but usually ended up being too lazy to bother with it.

A bunch of hardware changes since I posted the pic above, but the desk is still working out great too!

9 Likes

Ahem, and where is the whisky might I ask?

3 Likes

:joy: it’s 3pm here. Gotta wait a few hours for that! (I did recently pick up a couple of really nice bottles when I was in the UK over Xmas though!)

1 Like

Mine’s getting delivered today! Anyway…

This. :call_me_hand:

P. S. : And yes, I did an image search for “Grammy certificate”. Right on! :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Back home after a long theater rehearsal. Breaking out some Talisker!

Thanks!!! None of them are for my own projects, but I’ve been fortunate to play in and write for some pretty great bands.

5 Likes

A Glencairn Deck

1 Like

:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I did use an ultra wide monitor (Dell 32 inch), but I did not like the vertical space.
Now I use 2 4K LG’s, 32 inch (on a Macbook).
I open a Write window on the left and an Engrave window on the right monitor at the same time.
I don’t have to switch between the two anymore.

4 Likes

@FredGUnn Love your desk, which if I remember correctly you made yourself.
Couldn’t work without two monitors since the Dorico occupies one whole monitor:

@JackvL Great idea! But I’d need three monitors. Hmmmm…

2 Likes

Go for it! More is better… :wink: :+1:

Thanks!!! Yeah, I made it back in summer of 2020, when all my gigs were cancelled. It’s basically a knock-off of Monkwood’s studio desk, customized for the space I had. I think I watched every video I could find of him working. I’m a pretty slow woodworker and only get the itch to tackle something every few years I guess. I did make this turntable stand last fall which turned out pretty nice.

Walnut / Zebrawood turntable stand

4 Likes

@FredGUnn Wow, those are nice. I’d buy one except I don’t think my old Kurzweil grand is going to fit in that tray! Your turnable stand is beautiful. You’re a gifted wood-worker as well as a gifted musician.

@YourMusic.Pro Maybe for my next birthday. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I like to have engrave mode and the info panels open in a secondary monitor, fwiw.

1 Like