Dual Xeon Optimization in Cubase?

Reaper has no control room, no ASIO direct monitoring , it’s hardware inserts are not working properly still , no pencil tool for drawing out clicks in waveforms, no Econ support.

I use Reaper occasionally and it has some great things going for it, but I don’t find the performance that much better than Cubase on my machine.

MC

Hi guys, it really seems strange that this is happening especially on an Dual Xeon…

However, as the case was suspected to be audio interface differences, you may wish to try a “hack” from sometime back. Before proceeding, its a Registry Hack, so pls be very careful.

What I do to optimize Win-7 64 Bit for audio. - Cubase - Steinberg Forums (Last Post)

Hope it helps.

just look for the CPU with the highest loading in my screenshot - I presume that’s pretty much what the VST meter will show. I hardly ever use it I prefer to use resource monitor. However I’ll take another screenshot when I get back to my studio PC.

Right - done it - BTW I take the screen shot after at least a minute when all the tails are well and truly established and CPU use has stopped increasing.

BTW to rub salt into the wounds I just realised I’m not even running the over-clocked config at the moment! I’m putting along at 3.21 Ghz as I had to change my BIOS battery and I couldn’t be bothered to re-tweak everything coz I don’t need to at the moment!

re did the test today with 12 dark planets and engaging the record arm makes no difference on my system. Also opening the resource manager I can see they’re all perfectly loaded across all 12 cores of my CPU(6 real and 6 hyperthread)

MC

I noticed that with my Delta 1010’s , I could NOT have ASIO guard and Multithreading enabled. It would just choke my setup.

Going back to an ,old as you know what, E-mu 1820M I can have Multi-THreading enabled and ASIO guard along with low latency and have Performance like I did back in SX3 days.

And, If I switch to Yosemite, latency is even lower. This prolly doesn’t help much though.

I’m finding Cubase is fine without Rewire to Reason. As soon as I add Reason and then a vsti like u-he Ace, I get 100% in perf meter and the audio almost drops out. I’ve switched to 64bit (lost a few old plugins) and it seems a little better, but this doesn’t appear to be CPU or mem intensive at all.

Running - i7 2.8, 8gb ram, Delta66 PCI

Ableton by comparison can run more plugins with Reason rewired without these issues.

The advantage of the consumer CPUs is that you can run them at stock for 90% of the time, then OC them when required for the tough projects.

Also:
a) You don’t have to know your worst case load when you are building/purchasing the computer.
b) They are heaps cheaper!

However, I notice that the new ASUS dual Xeon CPU mbs allow overclocking, though only an extra 10%. May be times are changing.

With a decent water cooler you can overclock and still run at lower than standard temps. However what you say is true about stock being fast enough most of the time these days unless you’re doing really demanding stuff or you have a configuration issue chewing up CPU. When I built my current PC, I spent ages tweaking it to be stable at 4.5Ghz. The BIOS battery died unexpectedly a couple of months ago, I lost all my settings and I didn’t have time to go through the tweaking and cpu loading cycles again - then I kind of forgot I was running stock - which hasn’t posed a problem at all! - At which point I bumped it up to a conservative 3.9Ghz (all stock voltages etc) and saw the expected drop off of CPU usage as the system became more powerful.