DVD-Audio in 16 bit

Hello,

according to its specification, the DVD-Audio format is able to capture not only 24bit but also 16bit audio on one physical disk. However, when you create a DVD-Audio compilation in WaveLab 7.0.1, every DVD-Audio montage is always upscaled into 24 bit depth, regardless of the original content.

Is it a bug or intended behaviour? If it is not a bug then I have a feature request: please, allow me to burn a DVD-Audio consisting of Groups with various bit depths. I mean I would like to be able to set the bit depth (16/24bit) for each Group in a DVD-Audio compilation.

Of course, I know that 24 bit is the standard for DVD-Audio, however, sometimes it is convenient to burn large amount of audio from CDs into one DVD-Audio disk, therefore, I lack the possibility to leave the content in 16 bit and spare the space on the disk.

What do you think about it? :wink:

Thanks for reply and best regards

Miloslav

This is right. Actually, WaveLab has this capability, but this is not avaialable for change.
I could add that in 7.2.

Really? That would be great! :smiley:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards

Miloslav

Agreed - 16-bit should definitely be included.
Whilst 24-bit might be common, DVD-A supports from CD resolution to 24/192 in stereo and from 16/44.1 to 24/96 in 5.1 (although of course you need MLP Lossless for 24/96 and 24/88.2 in 5.1, which is unsupported also)

Thanks for the 7.2 update! However, I’m sorry to report that the bit depth still cannot be changed for DVD-Audio montages in 7.2, so we still cannot create other than 24bit DVD-A :cry:

Could you, please, implement the bit depth option in 7.3, at least?

Best regards

Miloslav

There was not enough time for this. This will come in the future.

Okay, I’m looking forward to this feature! :wink: Maybe DVD-A is dead for music industry as a selling format, nevertheless, regarding practical music production (material interchange, “proof-hearing” and archiving) I’m not aware of any better solution.

Miloslav