Dynamic Placement Question

How do you achieve the following dynamic in Dorico?
Dynamic Question.png
This is for a horn part, and I cannot seem to make it work.

When I select the whole note, hit shift+d the popover opens, if I type f>mf, it places the mf under the 8th note. If I type f>mf f, it removes the mf.

If I add the f under the 8th note first, it still places the mf under the 8th, and moves the f out of the way.

I tried clicking in properties to see if I could manually adjust something, and I was not able to see anything to help there (unless I am just blind… which might be the case).

Robby

There is a property for immediate dynamics ‘Beat-relative position’. You can set that Before for the mp to achieve the expected output.

Doing that then erases the mp…

Robby

I guess I have to input the f on the last note first, then put the dynamic on the whole note (f>mp), then move the mp.

That method seems to work.

Robby

There’s also another way of doing it, which I’ve found very easy and useful.
Select the note, then press enter.
Shift+d, then put in the dynamic f>. Press enter again.
With the arrow keys, nudge the caret forward to the desired position (perhaps to the last beat of the bar - experiment).
Shift+d again, then put in the end dynamic, mf. Press enter. Presto! :slight_smile: For the following 8th note, just select it and input the dynamic as usual.

This method is also very handy if you’re trying to insert dynamics halfway through a long sustained note - just select it, press enter, then nudge the caret with the arrow keys to wherever you’d like the dynamic to start.

Awesome! I’ll give that a try, too!

Robby

Also see my post from weeks ago, in which Daniel says he hopes they will get to this soon…

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103974