Dynamic within crescendo

Hi!

Attempted to find a post about this, but I couldn’t see anyone having the same issue (though I’m not very patient when sifting through forums, so apologies if this is a repeat question). Just needing a little help, I’m trying to create a crescendo like the one I’ve attached below. Funny thing is, I actually created that, but on accident and decided not to touch it so I didn’t mess it up. In my second (failed) example (attached), I’ve attempted to select the p and ff and attach the crescendo over the f, but that came up short. I’ve also attempted dragging the endpoint of the first crescendo over a beat to see if it would combine, but I still can’t figure it out. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Start by creating two crescendos, using “p < f” and “< ff” in the popover.

Then in Engrave mode, select the middle dynamic and switch on the “Hairpin shown as continuation” property.

If you want all your hairpins to look like this, select the option in Engraving Options / Dynamics.

What I suggest you do is do it all in one go via the Shift+D popover while advancing the caret.

Show the caret at the point at which the first dynamic should appear, and type Shift+D, then enter p< into the popover and hit Return; the p marking will appear, but no sign of the hairpin yet. Now press Space to advance the caret until you get to the spot where you want the mf to appear; the hairpin will have appeared and have advanced along with the caret by now. Type Shift+D and type mf< into the popover, and hit Return again. Keep pressing Space until you get to the spot where the last dynamic should go, and type Shift+D to show the popover once more, then type ff and press Return to finish the group of dynamics.

If the two hairpins don’t show as a single continuous hairpin either side of the mf marking, go into the Dynamics page of Engraving Options and set ‘Appearance of hairpins before and after a text dynamic’ to the desired appearance.

1 Like

Thank you! That helped a lot!

Hi,
is there a chance to do this also for gradual dynamics that are not hairpins but in “cresc. …”-style?
At the moment, there will appear a second “cresc.”, after the middle dynamic, instead of just the continuation of the dotted line.

Thanks and all best,
Niklas

1 Like

At the moment, no, this isn’t possible, I’m afraid. But perhaps you can suppress the “cresc.” text at the start of the second gradual dynamic via the Properties panel?

Hi, thanks for your answer! Good to know. I believe this would be a really nice feature to have in the future. :slight_smile:

About the workaround:
I can’t find any suppress-text-checkbox in the properties panel of a dynamic, unfortunately. That appears only to be there with lines.
However: A line with text is my workaround for now. Still don’t know, how to get the text in italic, so it matches the “real” dynamics optically, but all in all this does the job for the moment.