Dynamics ~ few Qs

Hello to the Dorico forum and thanks for the wonderful help I was getting here so far.

My Qs:

1). Is there a way to define the entire velocity values for dynamics set in a piece?

2). Although I write p 1st and pp after, the last value is louder then its previous. I understand that Dorico wants to Humanize my articulation settings so when I saw the gaps between values and performance I set humanize to 0% but will I have now to go through each note in the piece and fix it?

3). When I introduce a dynamic for the piano upper and lower stave I am getting the same dynamic on each stave. how can I get the same dynamic value for both upper and lower stave and use only 1 instance of it?

Thanks very much in advance for your comments.

Is there a way to define the entire velocity values for dynamics set in a piece?

The only way I can think of is to set both min and max Volume Dynamic in the expression map to the same number 64/64 e.g.

Although I write p 1st and pp after, the last value is louder then its previous.

This sounds implausible except for the case where “p” falls on a weak beat and the ensuing “pp” falls on the down beat of the measure (assuming that the setting to increase down beat dynamics is set).

[…] but will I have now to go through each note in the piece and fix it?

You’ll have to go through and fix everything manually if your dynamic controller is velocity and you implement #1.

When I introduce a dynamic for the piano upper and lower stave I am getting the same dynamic on each stave. how can I get the same dynamic […]

This is a bit contradictory… do mean you want different dynamics on upper and lower staff? If so, you can enable independent voice playback on the player in the “Play” tab.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

The underlying MIDI values (be they CC or Velocity) will depend on the Dynamic Curve level set in Playback Options, or overridden by an Expression Map.

That doesn’t sound right. We’d really need to see the document.

The whole point of Dorico is that there’s always an option that can define the global behaviour of an element, and that manually adjusting everything is almost never necessary!

You can specify independent dynamics for different staves of a piano by selecting a note, entering the dynamic and holding ALT (option) when you press Enter to leave the popover.
If you want different dynamics for each voice, do the same thing while in Note Entry mode, with the appropriate voice set, (i.e. as if you were going to enter notes in that voice.)

2 Likes

OK so of I understand correctly- to have one dynamic for both staves I need to press the ALT key while selecting the dynamic?

As for defining a set values for dynamics - is it possible to set a pppp=10 ppp=20 & ffff=95

Thank you all for your reply and help.

I think not. By default grand stave dynamics will apply to both staves. ALT will restrict it to one voice (ie one stave).

1 Like

The special trick is you must have the caret active when adding voice-specific dynamics.

1 Like

And IIRC the caret must be set to input the voice desired for the dynamic.

1 Like

Thanks Janus for your reply. In my case the dynamic repeats twice, for each stave. I was wondering if there was a way to reduce this to one dynamic for the grand stave.
Thanks.

Thanks - derAbgang - for your reply.
For #1 I wanted to set a specific velocity value for each dynamic in the piece and have it as a fix value throughout the piece. I was wondering if this can be done.
For #2 - ok.
For #3 I wanted one dynamic for both staves in the grsnd stave. I am getting duplication of the dynamic for each stave in the grand stave.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thanks - Mark_Johnson - for your reply.
So… suppose I’d like setting the same dynamic for both staves in the grand stave - should I streach the carret alongside both staves and set a dynamic - in order to not getting an automatic duplication of the dynamic for each of the staves in the grand stave ?

Thanks.

This is not standard Dorico behaviour. I think you must be doing something unusual.

1 Like

Sorry, this can’t be done. It has been asked for (including by me) a few times before.

1 Like