Dynamics playback not working on Muted Trumpet

Hi

Apologies, I’m sure this has been asked before but I can’t find the thread.
I can’t get dynamics to play back on a trumpet part. I want a muted trumpet throughout and have changed tried all three muted trumpet options in Halion. None of them will play the dynamics marked. I tried reseting the playback template but that just changed the sound back to a natural trumpet.

I’ve attached the file here. Can anyone suggest a solution please?
It’s a start.zip (467 KB)

The problem is that when you change the sound in HALion Sonic SE, Dorico doesn’t get told about what you’ve changed, so it still thinks that the default HSO trumpet sound is loaded into that patch, and hence it’s trying to modify the dynamics using MIDI CC1, which is what the HSO sound requires. The Noisy Muted Trumpet sound you’ve chosen, on the other hand, is a velocity-controlled sound, so you need to open the Endpoint Setup dialog and change the ‘HSO Trumpet Solo’ expression map for the second channel back to ‘Default’, which will produce velocity-controlled dynamics.

Thanks Daniel, that has worked.

Hi everyone
I’m having the opposite problem. I’ve assigned ‘Harmon Mute Stem’ In using the Playback techniques, to 4 trumpets. I did it in Input Mode.
They are still playing back the usual unmuted sounds. I checked the Endpoint Setup channel expression map to Default for all instruments (htey were set to CC1 Controller, possibly because the chart has been imported from a Sibelius-exported XML, but I don’t know this for sure)
What have I missed, in order to make the trumpets sound muted?

I’m using Dorico 4.1 on Windows 11.

thanks for any help folks! Always appreciated.
JK

Which Sounds are you using? I would try to first reapply the playback template, and see if that fixes it.
If you use common VST (either the HSSE packed with Dorico, or Noteperformer) you wouldn’t really need to edit the Endpoint-Configurations yourself, everything is predefined.
Although it might be that certain sounds don’t bundle with Dorico-Elements, of which Harmon Muted trumpets could be one.

Hi @klafkid
I’m not sure which sounds I’m using. I’ll reapply the playback template as you suggest and see if it fixes things.
I haven’t knowingly changed any of the sounds. It could be because it’s an XML import that things are not set up correctly.
I’ll give it a go and post back soon!
Thanks for your help with this
JK

The only way I can see XML play a role in it is that the playing techniques are actually imported as staff text instead of as playing techniques. In any other way, I cannot see how XML should impact playback, as there are no playback specific instructions in an XML file.

HI @klafkid
I’m not sure how XML can affect sounds either. It’s just the other things I was having trouble with have been caused by the fact it was an imported XML rather than a score from scratch in Dorico. It was just a guess as I’m quite a new user.

I’ve reapplied the playback template and it’s made no difference to the sounds. The trumpets are still playing open without mutes despite the Playing Technique of Harmon Mute added on the score. Perhaps Elements doesn’t have the capability.
thanks again and I will keep looking!
JK

If you are using Elements, you are missing around 6GB of sounds of the HALion Symphonic Orchestra (only bundled with Pro).
Someone else would need to confirm if harmon muted trumpets are part of that.

1 Like

Hi @klafkid my budget won’t stretch at the moment.
Oh well, I’ll have to wait to hear the real big band play it next Tuesday!
Thanks again for your help
Wendy

1 Like