Dynamics

Even though the Expression map is set to use CC1 for dynamics, no dynamics are generated… The Halion player is responding to the Controller from the attached Midi Keyboard, but not from Dorico. I had hoped dynamics might be generated even though no controller lanes are implemented yet…? :wink:

You should find that dynamics are indeed generated. Can you attach a project in which this is going wrong?

Piano (velocity) works as expected, Oboe and Violin not…
NoDynamics.rar (750 KB)

Interesting observation regarding compatibility…

I just made a short sketch on my Windows 8.1 Pro laptop, where it turns out that (continuous (MidiCC1)) dynamics work just fine.

When opened on my Win7 desktop, this file also plays back just fine!

HOWEVER: when I made up the same file from scratch on my Win7 desktop - dynamics are not generated. This seems to indicate that Win7 compatibility is off… too bad…

Just a quick test, just got home and installed the update, I also get no dynamics changes in windows 7, unless this is dependent on setting up a expression map first (I have not). Playback is through Kontakt hosted in VE Pro, btw.

*Edit: After fiddling with expression maps, normal dynamic markings are now giving mod data, but crescendo/decresc are not. I’ve added those to my expression map, simply mapped to CC 1, but it seems no actual gradually ascending or descending cc1 data is being sent. Perhaps this just isn’t in Dorico yet? I see that in some of the existing expression maps they are mapped to keyswitches that (I assume) have pre-recorded crescendi or decrescendi. But no evidence of them generating continuous data along the length of the hairpin.

If that is the case, I would like to suggest that in the bottom bar properties for any marking that indicates a ramp or fade in dynamics there be a playback option to set the cc1 start and end value, which should by default populate with the cc1 data from the previous and following dynamics (It would need to be smart enough to update that end cc1 data after the first dynamic after the hairpin is entered). Would also be useful to have a timescale equal to the length of the hairpin, and be able to insert points along, say at one at the beginning, one at 25%, and one at the end, where we can set either percent of change or hard cc1 numbers so that there is control over the timing of the dynamic sweep (which would then generate the cc1 data in the playback pane to later be fine tuned). For that matter, I’d like to see a playback option in the bottom bar for just about everything, so that we can customize what a SFZ does, or enter our own technique text, etc. Finale has a similar type playback setting, but having a new system that isn’t limited to one midi or cc action would be pretty snazzy!

Interesting discovery here this morning. Windows versions are not the culprit…

I can make MW dynamics (pppp) work normally on W7, as long as the (first) flow starts with a note and a dynamic marking is present. If the flow starts with a rest, all dynamics are ignored for the rest of the flow(s)

So are you seeing smooth MW data from your < and > marks? Not just a jump from pp to F back to pp?

Yes, smooth swells…