Early in the morning, pinging my external gear, WL "died"!

I created an empty audio montage.
created an empty clip with 5s
inserted a TestGenerator on that clip
inserted and external FX ( already patched in preferences and used many other times) on that clip after the test generator (Steinberg one)
Clicked DETECT button ( to ping the machine)
WL hanged and quit without warning.

This is the Windows event viewer info:

Windows 10 21h2 ( build 19.044.2604)

Faulting application name: WaveLabPro11.exe, version: 11.2.0.13, time stamp: 0x63ea7a57
Faulting module name: WaveLabPro11.exe, version: 11.2.0.13, time stamp: 0x63ea7a57
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000132600f
Faulting process ID: 0xc54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d95e2efdd23d36
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\WaveLabPro11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\WaveLabPro11.exe
Report ID: 7e36eb4f-501e-4c05-a534-e9e612415bbe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It is something you are used to do?
A clip is not conceived to host a TestGenerator. This was never tested.
What do you try to achieve?

Hi @PG1 Thanks for your reply. Fast as always :smiley:
I am using the testgenerator to send a test tone to my outboard at -18dBFS, so i can calibrate to chain… That’s why i am creating an empty clip with that insert. I remember using this way with no problem.

“Clip” refers to an Audio Montage item. You better use a calibrated file (WaveLab has a tool to generate this), and open it in the audio editor. And then use the Master Section to insert the ExternalFX.

I never work with the master section, only for the true peak meters. I normally have all my mastering session in the timeline, using the clips processing, and output procesing. I do all the analog captures from the timeline and i always keep a dummy clip with the test tone before the project, 5s test tone. I do this since i use WL (2years), only now it has this behaviour.
Is there something wrong on using a real time generator on the insert clip ? CPU wise?
I remember to see Justin doing exactly the same procedure on one of his YT videos.
Anyway, thanks for your tips, you better than anyone else know your program. I will take your advice and use a pre prepared dummy clip with a sine wav…i have to create a few for different SRs.

Thanks.