easiest way to convert stereo wav file recorded by Zoom H4N

I need to get a true mono .wav file to use after recording an interview of one person. But I fear that may be complicated by the fact that the H4n records in stereo only. Essentially, the result of the setup/recording, in as far as I can tell, would be that I would have a recorded track that will still be heard initially on only one side (hard left, as my mic was in input one on the H4n), due to the H4n’s stereo (default) configuration.

I’m wondering, is that so? And if so, how can I change it, meaning specifically:

What can I do via my Cubase LE 5 to get the recorded files to true mono files that a producer (or I) could use to create a finished piece, with again, the interviewee recording in true mono .wav?

My version of Cubase has the ability to convert files, including stereo files to mono. My first question is: Should I simply use that process? But if so, when or at what point might I have to be panning or assigning (the stereo wav file) to center? And I’m presuming I would have to at some point pan the stereo from hard left to center. But maybe not.

Question #2: There is also a “stereo flip” option, a function that works with stereo audio selections only, which allows one to manipulate the left and right channel in the following ways:

Flip: Left-Right Swaps the left and right channel.

Left to Stereo: Copies the left channel sound to the right channel.

Right to Stereo: Copies the right channel sound to the left channel.

Merge: Merges both channels on each side for mono sound.

Subtract: Subtracts the left channel information from the right and
vice versa. This is typically used as a “Karaoke effect”, for
removing centered mono material from a stereo signal.

I’m wary of this as it seems as it could confuse the required panning or somehow be detrimental if I have a hard left stereo recording in which I want only to use the left but convert it to mono.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Thanks!

Export the stereo track choosing to Split Channels and then Import the desired side to a mono track.

“export the stereo track to split channels” – Is that done in Cubase or on the H4n first?

Cubase

Okay, thanks mashedmitten.

But why won’t just selecting the stereo track and using the “convert files” function to convert it to mono, work?

Because it will include any noise from the unused side, for one.

Why don’t you try it and see what works for you?

ah, i totally get it now: thanks!!! Appreciate your help very much, cheers,

Two new problems:

I successfully split the stereo file and imported the one with the voice.

Problem #1: However, I can’t hear anything on playback. Could someone provide me step by step, explicit instructions on how to rectify this? I’m assuming correcting it successfully would entail ensuring my output/input busses, channels and drivers settings are set correctly to hear the file on playback and also to mix it or process it further. But so far I’m flummoxed and woefully confused. I only want to use my laptop and Cubase LE 5 to process/produce/mix this file. I have no external device connected. My idea was to use the Zoom H4n to record, transfer its wav files to my computer and then use Cubase LE 5 to alter the recordings to broadcast radio specifications.

Problem #2: When I simply click on the left side of the split wav file stored in my laptops hard drive after split-exporting it, and click to play it in Windows media, it plays slowed down, like we’re speaking in slow motion. It’s slowed just a bit, but noticeably and weirdly. And that is despite me having matched the sample and bit rate on exporting.

Thanks in advance for your quick and easy to understand help.

Playback issue solved: the monitor button has to be clicked off, which is a bit counter-intuitive for this newbie.

Issue remaining: Cubase plays a slowed down version of my interview, just like when I click on the left side of the split wav file stored in my laptop’s hard drive after split-exporting it, and click to play it in Windows media, it plays slowed down, like we’re speaking in slow motion. In both Cubase and played by WMP from my laptop file folder, it’s slowed just a bit, but noticeably and weirdly. And that is despite me having matched the sample and bit rate on exporting.

Do I need to repeat the process of exporting and splitting, ensuring my sample and bit rates are matched? And where all do I need to check the sample and bit rates? I have a sneaking suspicion I’m missing a sample bit rate check somewhere in Cubase but where?

Thanks in advance for your quick and easy to understand help.

Samplerate issue.