East West Play not showing up

East West’s Play is not showing up in the list of available VSTs (D2).
The latest discussion of this I can find is about a month ago.

Everything was ok until I upgraded Play to 6.1.4 from 6.1.3 - now D2 can’t find it.

Right in the middle of a project too (of course!) Any current ideas? I assume it’s been blacklisted for some reason?

Could you please post a diagnostic report? From the main menu choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report. That creates a zip file on your desktop. Please attach here.

Thanks. File attached. I’ve confirmed that Play has been blacklisted (it’s in the blacklist file) but I’ve no idea why or how to tell D2 it’s ok to run.

Dorico obviously re-scanned the plugins and didn’t like the new version. Hope you can offer a solution as work has come to a dead stop over this.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.25 MB)

I don’t know why the VST3 version of Play gets blacklisted, I need to get in contact with EastWest.
In the meantime, you could whitelist the VST2 version of Play and use that.
Therefore, simply add a new line to the whitelist that says:
play_VST_x64

And get rid of that other line and make it simply
EWQLSOGoldVST

then that plug-in will also appear.

Thanks for the help, will try that until the mystery is solved.

These software updates are a real nightmare, like the recent Win10 1903 that trashed the Korg MIDI driver (that had to be re-written) and put everyone out of action for over a month.

Anyway, we all thank you for doing your best to make this all work seamlessly.

I got Play 6.1.4 from EastWest and it poses no problem here with me together with Dorico 2.2.

Could you please open a command prompt window and run the following command (you can copy and paste it):

“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2.2.0\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vstscanner.exe” -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Play.vst3”

What is the output? I don’t know where Play is installed on your computer, you might need to adapt the last path.
The output should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Play.vst3East Westhttp://www.soundsonline.comsupport@eastwestsounds.com16<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
ABCDEF019182FAEB2D45572D4577506C2147483647Audio Module ClassPlay2InstrumentEast WestPLAY_VERSION_STRINGVST 3.6.0ABCDEF011234ABCD2D45572D4577506C2147483647Component Controller ClassPlay2InstrumentEast WestPLAY_VERSION_STRINGVST 3.6.0

Thank you.

Tried that, got this…

You missed off the initial double quote mark

Now I get - ‘The system cannot find the path specified’

Play is installed in its default location as above post from Ulf.

You may need to edit that line to point to the directory for where Dorico 2 is installed on your system, eg try

“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vstscanner.exe” -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Play.vst3”

That worked, but didn’t get the same output as suggested…

Ah, interesting, an exception gets thrown and therefore the plug-in gets blacklisted. I got in touch with EastWest, let’s see what they have to say…

Actually, this turns out to be an installation issue. The plug-in installer does not do it’s job properly which causes the exception to get thrown. EastWest has to fix this.

Will wait then. Thanks for your help.

One more update: This is not directly an EastWest problem. EastWest is using PACE for copy protection and the issue is in the PACE SDK. PACE will bring out soon a new SDK with a fix and EastWest then have to build their plug-ins against that new SDK and release a new version. All this won’t happen in one day, but a solution is near.

Excellent! Thanks for tracking this problem down.

UPDATE: Play 6.1.5 just downloaded, but no fix.

Play still not in the list of VSTs.

Where is Dorico’s Blacklist located? It’s not in the same folder as your Whitelist (also your suggested temporary Whitelist edit didn’t work)…

There are two blacklists, one for VST2 and one for VST3:
C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64\VSTAudioEngine2 VST3 Cache\vst3blacklist.xml
C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64\Vst2xPlugin Blacklist VSTAudioEngine2.xml

Please also do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the zip file here. Thanks

Thank you.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (675 KB)

Hm, Play is blacklisted with you. Why? I don’t know. I just installed 6.1.5 here with me and ran it with Dorico 2.2.20 on Win and no problem here.

What if you open a command window and copy following text, then press Return:
“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vstscanner.exe” -p “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Play.vst3”

It should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Play.vst3East Westhttp://www.soundsonline.comsupport@eastwestsounds.com16<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
ABCDEF019182FAEB2D45572D4577506C2147483647Audio Module ClassPlay2InstrumentEast WestPLAY_VERSION_STRINGVST 3.6.0ABCDEF011234ABCD2D45572D4577506C2147483647Component Controller ClassPlay2InstrumentEast WestPLAY_VERSION_STRINGVST 3.6.0

Also, what if you stop Dorico, delete the blacklist files and restart Dorico? That enforces a rescanning of the plugs. Does Play then turn up?