EastWest Expression Map Issue

Hi all.

I have been having a very frustrating issue that I haven’t been able to find a workaround for while using Dorico 2. I recently purchased EastWest Hollywood Orchestra VST and have been trying to implement it into Dorico 2. This was relatively easy until I encountered an issue, in the keyswitch patches of EW Hollywood Orchestra, the staccato technique is not included. It is a different sample in a different patch. So I have figured out the expression mapping for all the other techniques that are included in the keyswitch sound samples, but I can’t use staccato.

Because of this, I can only hear either 1) a technique from my keyswitch sample or 2) just the staccato sample. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to assign multiple patches to one MIDI channel (without hearing them both simultaneously). In Sibelious, there was a way to correspond which playing technique went with which MIDI channel, but I can’t find that anywhere in Dorico 2 menus.

I hope I was able to explain my issue appropriately…
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It’s not currently possible to do this because Dorico doesn’t yet have a channel switch action type in the Expression Map. This is something that we hope to address in a future version, as we know it’s essential for using sample libraries such as the EW Hollywood series.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. This is difficult news to hear, and should probably be made more clear in the future so people don’t purchase EW sounds to pair with Dorico 2 (at least for now).

Thanks

I too would love to see channel switching addressed, but in the meantime don’t forget that Dorico makes it pretty easy to configure multiple score layouts within one file. As a workaround in this sort of situation I create one score for playback and another score for printing. As each staff corresponds to a channel, add as many staves as you need for your “playback score” to play correctly, then hide these staves in your score for printing. Copy the information from your extra playback staves to the visual staves so your “visual score” and parts will print correctly.

Note that, with the release of Dorico 3, this is no longer an issue. Dorico now supports channel switching for different notations.

I’ve finally been able to ditch Bidule, and am now using Play plug-ins exclusively! Hurrah!