Edited - I need any info about car stereo EQ

Excellent advice!!!

Moergood advice.

I used to import a commerical tune into the cubase project and mute it. And every so often solo it to compare to my mix

That was my first thought, but knowing the expertise of this forum I felt someone might point me in the right direction.

Good suggestion, but it’s hit or miss at best, and that’s what I’ve been doing for six months, and I have enjoyed every minute of it, but…the time has come to put this baby to bed, and ultimately, your suggestion:

…is the cat’s pajamas. Wow, I mean, I think that is exactly what my adjustments on the car stereo are doing to my mix.
100+ THANX

…and to all to assisted, I have learned a lot…
Audiocave - thanx for the spectrum analysis curve
Twilightsong- the 2 car comparison makes sense and justifies me going out this afternoon and buying that Corvette I have always wanted (with an upgrade stereo)
Woodcrest Studio - exactly, you nailed it, and I learned something about EQ

Yeah, most of us (like me) don’t have finely-tuned listening spaces so the commercial mix reference is like a compass that can help keep you on track… and piss you off because it all sounds so good. :laughing: Listening to your music library regularly in your monitors from the mix position is a really good thing that helps to kinda imprint “what sounds right” there on your brain. I generally avoid highly compressed / squashed mixes for that purpose but obviously with some genres that’s nearly impossible. :wink:

Analogy: You get in your car after the wife has fiddled around with your EQ settings and you know right away that something isn’t quite right when you play your songs because you know what things normally should sound like there.

If you listen to enough “real music” in your production space you’ll eventually gain a similarly imprinted perspective of “normal” vs. not quite right. Refreshing it occasionally doesn’t hurt either.

Good idea Steve, or, move the studio to the car, then I could work while I’m driving.

…but my wife knows not to mess with my EQ, and she’d probably be on the way to the market to pick up a six pack for me anyway. But you are right, I would notice, and for sure:

The flaw in doing that is that the car itself is the most important part of the car audio system. i.e the actual acoustics of the car. Compeltely non rectangular space, with built in mid range absorbers ( seats ) and non parallel reflectivity ( windows, and dahsboard, etc ). A lot of bass escapes from the car too thus preventing bass buildup and the space is too small to have bass resonances ( room modes )anyway.

plus you have the psychological effect of getting out of your workspace, stretching your legs, fresh air, etc,etc