Editing "Added Text"

Running into something that seems like I’m probably missing an obvious answer, but searches of forum and PDFs have come up dry: How do you edit “Added Text” (i.e. Shift+X) once you’ve already input it and closed the editor? Once the editor is closed, I’m able to still select the text, move it, and delete it, but neither double-clicking nor right-clicking seems to allow me to edit what’s there.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! Been thoroughly impressed with my Dorico experience thus far, occasional not-yet-implemented features notwithstanding :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Matt
(Running Dorico 1.1 for Mac)

Running 1.1 on Windows, you just double-click on the text to get the same editing interface as when you entered it.

I don’t know why that’s not working for you - unless you are trying to edit the text in Engrave mode not Write mode. (Engrave mode is for changing the format and layout of the score, but not changing the content).

Update: A couple hours and an app reboot later, double-clicking started working again. Not sure what was happening before (I definitely was in Write mode when trying before), but I’ll keep an eye out to see if it happens again.

Thanks for the reply Rob!

Update #2: Seems the behavior (dare I say, “bug”) has returned. I’m in Write mode, and double-clicking text doesn’t go into the text editor. However, I CAN still select the text and hit Return to get into the editor.

I’ve saved a version of the project as of when I hit the bug, but rebooting Dorico seems to clear the issue, so I’m not sure how helpful that’ll be. As I’m writing this, I realize my rebooting has also cleared the relevant application.log file, oops.

Now that this seems to be occasionally recurring though, let me know what diagnostic info would be useful to collect if/when I hit it again.

I suspect the issue could be related to the click area ending up out of step with the apparent drawn position of the text. What zoom level are you working at when the problem occurs? What page arrangement (horizontal, vertical, etc.) are you using? Does the problem occur in both galley view and page view, or only one or the other?

I don’t recall the exact zoom level, but it was likely around 100-140%. Pages are arranged as horizontal spreads, and I’ve only noticed the issue in Page View so far (though I’ve not tested whether switching to galley affects it).

I’ll try playing with these settings when it comes up again.

Just hit this again. It occurred while working in page view at 130%, horizontal spreads. Changing zoom levels, switching to galley view and back, and changing the page arrangement all have no effect (i.e. the problem still occurs in those other modes, and persists when switching back to the original mode.

The only thing I’ve found so far that fixes it is rebooting Dorico.

Did you think to take a screen capture or anything when this happened? Perhaps next time you could do a quick screen capture using QuickTime Player.

Sure Daniel, screen recording below.

Thanks: very odd. Since you can select the text OK, what happens if you then hit Return? Does it then edit as you would expect?

I suspect this problem would not occur if you were using a horizontal rather than vertical page arrangement.

I have noticed on a Microsoft Surface book that if “double-tap to drag” is turned for a trackpad, sometimes Dorico will not get a the double click properly (unlike windows explorer on the same machine.) I suspect it’s a QT-kit thing. This seems to be a trackpad thing as external mice connected to the same laptop do not show the issue.

The solution on the Surface book is to always use the double-click (by pressing down on the bottom of the trackpad with your thumb) rather than double-tapping with your index finger to enter Dorico’s editing. Do not know if this could be related.

HTH

Yes Daniel, selecting the text and hitting Return still functions as expected.

And, once this starts to happen, switching to a horizontal page arrangement does not resolve it (i.e. The bug still occurs regardless of arrangement). I don’t know if initially working only in a horizontal arrangement would affect the initial occurrence of the bug though.

I’ve run into the same issue. In the Page View I am unable to edit existing text by double-clicking or hitting Return. In the Galley view double-clicking does nothing, but hitting Return will enable me to edit the text. It is System text, created in Page view.

Working on Win7; 24" monitor, zoom size of 150-300% for close editing.

Also, this problem used to be sporadic, and rebooting Dorico would resolve it at least temporarily. However, on a certain project, it’s now become persistent even through reboots. I’ve sent the project to Daniel.

I’m having this trouble also, using Dorico 2.1. Haven’t tried rebooting yet. (For now it’s faster to delete and retype the shift-X text).

(Edited to add): But if I select with mouse and hit Enter, it works ok. Double-clicking the mouse doesn’t do anything.

What we have learned about this problem is that it tends to indicate that Dorico is struggling to process the double-click properly, because something about your project is exposing a performance problem. If you would like us to look into this further, you need to provide your project, together with details of where in the project you are experiencing the problem.

Daniel, is this also the reason why double click to begin note entry seems to stop after a while of having Dorico open?

I have the same problem – when double clicking a note, it just selects it. It doesn’t do the equivalent of “Enter”. I thought it was because I’ve turned off “Enable note input using the mouse”, but toggling that didn’t change this behavior.

Daniel: I sent an email with the project and details. Forgot to link to this page though.

I find if I restart, it comes back…for a while.

I don’t know how to say it any more clearly than I’ve done above: when the second click of a double-click, whether to edit text or to start note input, isn’t registered by the software, it indicates that Dorico is unable to process the click in time because it’s busy doing something else, and this indicates a performance problem in the software exposed by the specific nature of the project being edited and/or the position in the project where you are currently editing it. If you would like us to look into it, we are happy to do so, but we need the project itself, together with the details of exactly where you are encountering the performance problems.