Editing controller data for multiple tracks simultaneously

I am just learning the ropes of Cubase, and I’ve found it to be a wonderful program so far. However, I’m completely stumped as to how to do something that is probably very simple. Here’s what I want to do:

Say I have four midi tracks (a string quartet, for example) with Vst output, and all four tracks are playing something different but with roughly the same dynamics (mf swelling to ff, for instance) for a given phrase. Now, I’d like to repeat the phrase a second time note for note, but this time with different dynamics (pp swelling to p, for instance). It would be great if I could just select the passage in all four parts, cut and paste them to a bar following the first passage, and then simply edit the CC11 or velocity data for all four parts at the same time.

Is this something that is possible with Cubase? If not, how do people make global changes to dynamics without having to adjust the CC data for each track individually?

I apologize for the remedial question, and thank you for your time.

Best,

Brian

First and last shameless bump for visibility

Unfortunately not possible. The two things that are possible to implement within the current GUI that I think Steinberg should do is first of all DP-style editing where with multiple parts selected the edits apply to all of them. Also by allowing the Logical Editor to create simple CC slopes, preferably with optionally context-sensitive start and end point values, it would become a very powerful crescendo/diminuendo and other tool from the arrange.

The only thing you can as of now is copy/paste CC events to different parts (I suggest using keyboard shortcuts for “Edit- Activate Next Part” and “Edit -Active Previous Part”) and using the Logical Editor to modify existing CC data in bulk.

1 Like

paaltio,

Thank you very much for your reply. It’s too bad that it can’t be done simply, but at least it’s good to know what is and isn’t possible. I’ll do as you suggested and use keyboard shortcuts for “edit-activate next part”, etc.

Best regards,

Brian