Editing MIDI

How can I edit MIDI data? So far I can only record MIDI but once recorded I double click on the event to edit but nothing happens. Please tell me we can edit MIDI data?

There is no content editing in VST Live as of now. You can size and move events (clips).
However you can export tracks in Cubase/Nuendo (check for file/export) and import that in VST Live. We are also looking into tighter integration.

Very disappointing. Makes it pretty much useless now.

If I’m in the middle of rehearsal and need to make a simple tweak, going back into Cubase to edit/export/import is going to be such an unnecessary waste of time.

I guess I’ll have to wait several versions before it’s mature enough to use.

When will we be able to edit/automate MIDI data?

1 Like

Why? As opposed to Cubase?

Is there a way of setting up which port gets used for MIDI?

The best way of explaining my question is to quote a paragraph from the Yamaha website about using both USB and regular MIDI ports for my MODX, as follows…

“What generates the most questions is how to play the MODX keys and trigger an external MIDI device (that is connected via 5-pin MIDI cable) all while connected MIDI I/O = USB to the computer. The answer is: literally, through the computer. Here is the MIDI Signal Flow:
• MODX key press, Local Control is Off, MIDI messages go Out via USB on Port 1 to a MIDI Track set to receive MODX Port 1 as MIDI IN.
• Set the Track’s MIDI OUT to MODX Port 3.
• Port 3 is the 5-Pin MIDI Out jack that goes to the external synth. DAW signal routed on Port 3 triggers whatever you connect to the MODX MIDI OUT.
• You can trigger that external keyboard module while connected to your DAW. You simply THRU the data (it passes thru the MODX on PORT 3) - because typically, when working with an external DAW “Local Control” is Off, only if you set the MIDI Track’s Out PORT to 1 will it trigger the MODX tone generator.
USB-MIDI communication also includes bulk data transfers. When the size of the data allows, you can bulk individual Performance data from your computer, phone or tablet making it convenient to transport your favorites. This communication is handled on Port 1 between the MODX and the “host” device.”

You can create as many media ports (audio, MIDI etc) as you like (Devices/Connections). Each has a visual name (which you can edit), and an associated Hardware Port (device, in/output). All devices and ports that the Operating Systems offers are listed. These ports can be assigned where applicable, like for Layers, Tracks, Stacks (for audio inputs) and more. Each port remembers the last 32 working hardware in/outputs, so that you can carry your project around and it will find its port “Keyboard 1” on every system you ever assigned a hardware in/output to it.
As long as a USB connection uses the MIDI protocol, it should appear in the list of available hardware ports just as well as “real” 5-Pin MIDI connections.