Editing the same text items differently in different layouts

I am working on an opera and would like to be able to edit the stage directions in both full score and piano reduction layouts so that they fit comfortably in each. For example, doing text wraps in the piano reduction where the larger staff size tends to force longer stage directions into the margins.

I had thought that switching to resetting the property box to “Local” would allow that sort of editing change, but saw that the text item I had edited was altered in the same way in both score and reduction layouts. I know I don’t fully understand how the local vs. global properties work, and confess that even after reading the section of the on-line help about this, I still don’t know quite what to do.

You can’t handle the wrapping of the same text item differently in different layouts. You can, however, duplicate the entire text item, then locally hide one instance in one layout and the other instance in the other layout (via the Hide property). Note that you’ll have two entirely independent text items, so if you edit the content of one you’ll need to remember to edit the content of the other.
(Your memory should be aided by the presence of a signpost wherever a hidden text object exists.)

Dear Pianoleo,

Thank you for this thoughtful explanation, as always.

I did try to do what you outlined, because that was what occurred to me as a work-around, but it didn’t work.

As I said in my initial inquiry, I know that I do not understand exactly how to use the Local vs. Global tool in the Properties Panel. I thought I did the right thing, but it didn’t work.

Look, my real frustration with the Dorico manual is that it tells us what things are but not how to do them.

(By the way, for a program in which “everything” is supposed to be under one’s control, Dorico falls short time and time again, especially in comparison with the much easier to use program, Score, which unfortunately for a host of reasons, is no longer viable.)

The manual should in most cases provide step-by-step instructions, it’s just that our documentation is structured so that reference material is on a separate page to procedures.

Here is the page that explains the difference between local and global properties:

And here is the set of steps for changing the scope between Locally/Globally:

^ the latter page is (or should be) linked to at the bottom of every other page in the manual that involves a local property, for which your scope setting is relevant. E.g. on the page for hiding/showing text items.

FR: Is it even conceptually possible for a text frame to have different dimensions in different layouts? It sure would be useful for cases such as this.

If not, perhaps frames in different layouts could somehow share the same (lengthy, formatted) source text? Having to make 2 or more copies of stage directions, etc., seems quite primitive.

Text frame ? Yes, via local page template overrides, you can resize/reshape a frame from a page template (ie shared in multiple layouts) on one page in one layout, without affecting other layouts. Or you could use a token to refer to the same field in Project Info (like “other info” for longer-form text) on multiple page templates, each with the frame in a different place or at a different size.

Text items – not yet, as per the above.