Editing velocity in each note of a chord

Hi,

Usually, I edit the velocity of each note of a chord. In a piano part, for example, this helps to make the melody emerge, or make a chord more even.

Unfortunately, the way velocity is represented in Play mode makes access to individual notes impossible. Velocity is represented as a vertical bar, hiding everything behind them.

I would like if velocity could be represented as free horizontal lines, as when a digital VU-meter leaves the peak shown for some seconds. Only peaks are shown, so you can easily access any other peak relating to the other notes of the chord.

Paolo

You can edit the velocity of a particular note in a chord by selecting it in the piano roll before you edit it in the velocity lane.

The up/down keys also cycle through them. I agree though that it’s hard to see the multiple values at the same position. Maybe we can change the order in which they’re drawn to make it clearer.

Thank you both for your hints.

Unfortunately, when I try to change the velocity value of a note in a chord, after having selected a note in the piano roll, the velocity bar is always reset to 64. This happens both when dragging the top of the bar, or manually editing the number in the Velocity value box.

The test score is just a new project, with a single piano instrument. No dynamics has been entered in the score. Please, see the attached video (zipped). (You can also see a problem with sticky mouse click, still existing in Play mode when selecting a note).

As for the velocity bars, I wouldn’t dislike something like this. Maybe not as impressive as the current ones, but probably easier to read and select:

velocity-bars.png
Paolo
velocity-not-changing.mov.zip (979 KB)

You’re absolutely right, Paolo, this isn’t working as it should. We’ll fix this as soon as we can. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Another idea would be to show a note’s velocity as a small number in its piano roll bar, and to add a special velocity edit mode, where you can edit the velocity of the selected note or notes with the up-and-down keys. I.e., doing away with the velocity lane entirely.

I’m sorry if I’m back on this matter, but maybe I found a way that is more stylistically compatible with the other lanes in Dorico. The start of a note, in the Velocity lane, could be marked by the same dot used to mark a point in a CC line. A segment would show the length of the corresponding note, to be sure you know what you are working on.

Notes with the same length will be hard to identify, unless some nuances of color are used for each note of the chord. Velocity could be identified by color intensity in the note itself (a bar of a paler blue for weak velocity, strong blue for heavier velocity). The same color could be applied to the velocity line in the Velocity lane.

Paolo

I apologize for returning on the issue of editing velocities, but I would like to offer another example of how complicate it is to edit note velocities with the current bargraph display. Something sparser would help a lot with passages full of chords and arpeggios, like in piano scores.

Paolo

Please do the same as in Cubase (piano roll bar):
color-coded, with numbers displayed, multiple selection and editing using the keyboard and mouse wheel !!!
Bertram

Love Dorico! In the piano grand staff I am unable to adjust velocity of a note in the bass clef without affecting the note on the same beat in the treble clef

What I usually do is, I select the notes I want to edit in the piano roll or score, and then I edit velocity in the Histogram with Selection selected.