Elementary questions

Hi,

As I am a complete novice in DAW the questions below may seem really elementary and I need to spend time reading the User’s Manual, but I would appreciate common-sense advice.

My application is very simple right now (using Cubase 7 AI and UR22):
MIC → Line input 1 UR22 using balanced XLR (mono audio) ->lap-top->L/1 output (mono) UR22 ->Jensen Audio Isolator ->mic input of a shortwave transmitter → DAW processed audio on the air (shortwave radio)

Terminology is still somewhat confusing to me and I am not sure I understand where I can add an EQ, Compressor etc. or can I add an EQ/Compressors etc. in several places actually?

1. Where do I add EQ, Compressor, LIMITER etc? The STRIP or INSERTS? Does the Free version feature Tube/Vintage Compressors that I can add?

2. I assume that where it says “INSERTS” I will define the INSERTS (EQ, Compressor etc.) used but the order in which they are to be used in the audio chain can be changed only in CHANNEL STRIP? This is also where I would activate/bypass any of these, correct?

3. There is a separate place which says “EQUALIZERS” that is confusing to me. Why would one need this defined in a separate place?

4. Can I add more than one EQ and Compressor for instance?

5. PLUG-INS: I assume this is what I would use later after I have mastered the basics although I am not sure if these are useful (unless I need to put a Vintage/Tube Compressor here…) in my application?

Thank you for pointers for this tyro!

Cheers,
JJ

OK, here goes (quickly and roughly!)

1: Put them wherever you like; I would put them as inserts on the channel your audio is on. The “strip” is just a pre-selected group of effects which are inserted on the channel in question, whereas “true” inserts allow you to use third-party effects.

2: No, the order of the inserts is as per the inserts section. Altering the strip section alters their order. THat is where you would bypass/activate them, yes.

3: This is the built-in channel EQ. (which is shown, in terms of processing order in the strip section).

4: You can add as many as you can fit in; whether you need to is a different matter!

5: Plugins will appear in the insert section, allowing you to use 3rd party effects on your audio.

Hi Djaychela!

Glad to read your response and it did clarify a things for me which I will explore further in my quest for “perfect” audio :slight_smile:

Cheers!!

JJ

JJ-

You might find this free class useful - and it starts up in a week and a half.
https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

This is obviously an American course as they have snubbed Cubase

Recommended Background
You should be able to perform the following tasks in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), such as GarageBand, Pro Tools, Logic, Live, Reason, SONAR, or Digital Performer:
Create audio tracks
Add audio effects (EQ, Noise Gate, Compressor, Delay, and Reverb)
Create MIDI tracks
Add a software synthesizer to a MIDI track
Export an audio file
Create an MP3 file

Cubase is not recognised as a MAJOR daw but garbage and reason are , that’s says it all in my book

I think you are reading WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much into a “such as” list.
Way, way way too much. :unamused: