Elements 10 or Artist 6.5 ??

Hi,

I have a choice to buy (2nd hand) Elements 10 or Artist 6.5 (for home recording).

Many people seem to like version 6.5 because its fast, lite and does the job well. and most people seem to like the layout of 6.5.

Would you recommend I get the version 6.5 because its fast and easy and doesnt crash ? or do you think I should get Cubase 10 ELEMENTS ?

I would prefer to have 10 Artist, (but its not available for me 2nd hand, and above my budget).

so my choice is 6.5 ARTIST or 10 ELEMENTS.

are there loads more effects/plug-ins and features on 10 Elements that are worth the problems of ‘high CPU usage’ and other problems ?

I really would love to know the opinions from experienced users.
I dont want to spend weeks and weeks learning how to use over-complicated software.
I am computer savvy, but also I dont want to waste unnecessary time.

or, do you think there is a more suitable version of Cubase that I should search for online ?

I’m staying with Windows 7, and will not be using Windows 10.

Thank you VERY MUCH for any help that you can give me :wink:

Hi and welcome,

I would go for Cubase Elements 10 because of this:

• Cubase 6.5 is not officially supported anymore.
  • Cubase 6.5 doesn’t support Windows 10.

Btw, if you would think further, upgrade to Cubase Artist 10.5 is 20€ cheeper from Cubase Artist 6.5 with comparison to Cubase Elements 10. From this point of view (if you would like to update in the feature), it makes more sense to go for Cubase Artist.

Thanks Martin for your advice.
I forgot to say that I am on Windows 7 and I dont like Windows 10. So I am not planning on upgrading to Windows 10 in the next few years.

Also: It doesn’t really bother me that 6.5 is not supported anymore, because from what I have been reading (in forums), it is stable and works well. 6.5 seems to be the popular ‘old school’ version of Cubase.

My Main concern is that ‘maybe’ there are things in Version 10 that are GAME CHANGERS.

I am Recording my own music at home. I know the basics of DAW Software, and I’m a quick learner.
Obviously more compressors, EQ and effects will be useful.

But ultimately I am hoping for software that makes my recordings sound ok… PLUS ‘ease of use’.
I dont want to spend months learning over-complicated things.

I know 6.5 is straight forward.
I wonder if Version 10 is overly complicated ??

Someone recently told me that Elements 10 is really not worth it and is probably worse than Artist 6.5.
But he was going on about ‘elements’ having extremely limited editing and busses and track count.

, and I am really staying with Windows 7, and steinberg ‘support’ doesnt worry me.

Knowing what I have just said, is your advice the same? or would you recommend something else ?

Thanks again :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi,

On the Cubase web page you can see the comparison chart between Elements and Artist. All least rawly you will get an idea, what would be missing in Cubase Elements if you would go this way.

Or you can download Cubase Elements 10 Trial and see if it’s good for you.

What I can see as a biggest pros to go for Cubase Elements:

• Current supported version (even though I understand your point)
  • Modern MixConsole
  • Channel Strip plug-ins
  • All in one window solution

As a Cubase pro user I would say…Get the best version you can afford, so Pro then Artist then Elements. In your case Artist. Then worry about which version. I was a happy user of 6 or 6.5 for years.

Did you go through most of the versions ?
if so, is there a big difference between 6.5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 ?

ie: if I found an Artist 7, is it better than Artist 6.5 ?
or, should I be aiming at 8.5 or above ? (because some people mentioned to me that cubase didnt iron out all the creases until 8.5)

First of all, you should not listen too much on what some people mention.Just look around the forums you get a myriad of different opinions just in here. If you go for features, go for artist, otherwise go for elements. Neither version is “overly complicated”. They are just different.

Hi,

This Is nicely written. I agree.

Don’t forget you can download the Elements 10 trial version, see if you like it, and if you go with Elements, you can always upgrade to Artist 10 at a later stage for the difference in price (or better still, when there’s a special offer!).

It’s not true to say there are more crashes with later versions … try it out on your own computer and make your own decisions. If Elements 10 crashes on your computer, it’s unlikely Artist 6.5 with work any better.

The other thing to remember is to factor in the cost of a USB eLicenser (but should be/must be included in the 6.5 price, especially second-hand, as that’s where the actual license is stored).

That’s the same for the used Elements version.

Not if the Elements license is a “soft” eLicenser. If buying second-hand, the OP can get good advice here:
How to resell Steinberg software (Resale Wizard)

But if it is used already

I think I had Atari, sx3, 6, 8 and 9 and now 10. All from 6 on worked fine here on Win7 64.

I used Cubase 6.5 for a very very long time and it was truly a wonderful version. I am now on 9.5 Pro and would say that v9 especially was a huge step forward for me. The MixConsole, the single window layout, the sampler .etc After using Cubase 9, I could never go back to an older version.

So my suggestion would be to save up and get Cubase 9 Artist or above.

Also, the lack of official compatibility wouldn’t bother me on Windows. I recently installed Cubase SX3 with all my plugins and Reason 4 from well over 10 years ago on the latest Windows 10 and everything worked perfectly! On macOS, I wouldn’t dare try this though! :slight_smile: