Ever since updating to D3, I’ve consistently had eLicenser errors. This is the most consistent error:
When I click ok, I almost always get the spinning ball and I need to force quit Dorico. Usually, if I restart the computer, it clears out, but it will often come back in a day or so. I have run maintenance in the elicenser control center, and reinstalled the elicenser control.
Running D3 with most recent update on MacBook Air, and on Mac Mini (problem occurs on both my machines). Both are running OSX 10.14.6
When searching the forum, I didn’t find this particular error. Please link me to a topic if I missed it.
Thanks for your help,