I’m trying to upgrade my license from Dorico 3.5 to 4.0.
I run Steinberg Download Assistant, and add the Download Access Code I received after purchase.
This opens the eLicenser Service Center. It is up-to-date at 18.104.22.16802 on Mac.
After trying to upgrade, I get a failure message, saying that there are problems with the server. This is happening at every try.
I have two eLicensers installed. Both have issues. The first one was full (due to VSL licenses), and the second one had a problem when adding a license, and VSL couldn’t repair it.
My Dorico 3.5 license is in the first key (the full one). Maybe this is the problem?
I had hoped that the eLicenser nightmare would have ended with Dorico 4, but I see it is still here…
Could you try temporarily removing the other eLicenser and retry the Download Access Code.
The transition from Dorico 3.5 to Dorico 4 should be final time you need to interact with eLicenser (for Dorico, at least!)
Ben, I removed the second eLicenser, and retried. To be true, the Download Access Code was no longer necessary, since an Activation Code did appear in my account on MySteinberg.
The error when trying to upgrade the license in eLicenser is still there, either starting from Steinberg Download Manager or directly from eLicenser Control Center.
I fear the problem is in the eLicenser key being full. If the activation software has to write something, it can’t.
If you open Steinberg Activation Manager, does it show a license for Dorico 4?
Even if it shows “verification pending”, you should still be able to use it while we get to the bottom of this issue.
Ben, I confirm my license for Dorico Pro 4 appears as “Verification pending” ("'Verifica in sospeso") in Steinberg Activation Manager.
I clicked the Activate button, and Dorico Pro 4 is launching. Thank you again!
That’s good news! If you sign out of Steinberg Activation Manager, wait 10 seconds and then sign back in again it should force your license to refresh and the “verification pending” should be gone.
Ben, I can’t confirm it. Even after following your instructions (log out from the web page and the SAM), the license is still in “Verification pending” status after logging in again.
I’ll repeat the procedure in the next hours, to see if it changes.
In the meantime, Dorico 4 is working, and as far as I know I can have it working for the next month.
It will show “verification pending” until your Dorico Pro 3.5 license in your eLicenser says “non-upgradeable”, which means that the update has been successfully completed.
Ouch. So, since there is no way to write in the eLicenser key containing the old Dorico Pro 3.5 license, I will have to ask for some alternative solution to have a working Dorico Pro 4 license.
Should I open a ticket, or is it something that will maybe be solved in general with a future software revision?
Probably you should open a ticket and see what our colleagues in the support team suggest, yes.
My Steinberg Activation Manager shows I have Dorico Pro 4 activated, but my eLicenser Control Center says Dorico Pro 3.5 (Not upgradeable). Should I be concerned? I should note that Dorico opens and operates as expected.
You should not be concerned. The “Not upgradable” indication means you have already authorized Dorico 4 and are therefore not entitled to authorize another three copies of Dorico 4.
Licensing for Dorico 4 will be handled by the web-based Steinberg Activation Manager (SAM), which you should be able to find on your computer.
Thanks, Derrek! Just so I’m clear on the new licensing process… Is Dorico 4 handled exclusively by the SAM application and not eLicenser?
That is my understanding (although some VST’s like VEP or full HALion 6, as opposed to the HALion SE included with Dorico, may still need the USB license for authorization).
Yeah, I’ve got both iLok and eLicenser stuff. I was just puzzled since I never bought Dorico 3.x. I upgraded from version 2 to v. 4, so thought it was strange that my eLicenser showed 3.5 instead of 4. As long as it works! Thanks!
I’m unfortunately still with my Dorico Pro 4 license pending, and the trial will end in ten days. I’ve heard last time of Anja ten days ago in my ticket’s thread, and then nothing.
As explained in the first message here, and in the ticket, the eLicenser where the Dorico Pro 3.5 license is stored is full, and no operation can be done on it. It’s bricked, and only being able to be read.
So, there is no way to transform that license into a NFR one. Also, there is no way to delete it, as the code sent by the support was trying to do – and I don’t want the old license to be deleted, since I’m still mostly working with D3.5. I also need it, for a comparative review I’m writing.
I’ve shown Anja the screenshots, and sent the support file exported by the eLicenser Control Center, so that the support team can analyze the situation in that eLicenser key. I’m not trying to get a free license (linked to my name) to be resold in the grey market.
I guess Steinberg can easily recognize that the eLicenser system had faults. I’ve lost countless hours dealing with the key not being recognized, or a management software not even being able to sort the licenses alphabetically. I would have hoped that the opportunity to switch to the new Steinberg License system wouldn’t have been prevented by the old eLicenser itself.