Elicenser is absolutely horrible - I am about to leave Dorico

I too am having trouble with eLicenser. I’m trying to run the demo for Dorico 3 Pro on my office computer to consider switching our shop from Finale to Dorico 3. I had previously tried a demo of version 1.x that expired. In between then and now I got a new Mac and used migration assistant to set it up. I’ve reinstalled eLicenser several times, but it keeps telling me that I already have a license of the same time on this soft eLicenser. I cannot find the old license either in my online account or via eLicenser control. I’ve tried reactivating, etc. with no luck because it can’t find the offending license.

I have had no problem demoing Dorico at my home/studio Mac (separate activation number) but I really want to demo it at the office for my team. I’m about to buy it anyway, but I fear that these licensing issues on my office Mac will prevent me from running the app even if I pay for it. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, Brett. Sorry you’re having problems with the Dorico trial. If you really are about to buy a license, hold fire until tomorrow as that will be a better day to buy the software (he says without trying to give anything away).

The Soft-eLicenser is a file, which you’ll find at /Library/Application Support/Syncrosoft Soft-eLicenser, called SeLicenser.sel. Try moving this out of the way, though you’ll then need to run the tool provided here to recreate an empty Soft-eLicenser to allow you to activate your new trial license.

Don’t do this if your Soft-eLicenser contains other existing licenses, however! Removing that file will also remove those licenses too.

You do have to buy a new key, I’m afraid. You can purchase a new one either from the Steinberg online shop, or from your favourite music shop.

Dorico is an amazing product, but this is highly disappointing, since I spent hundreds on a full version of Dorico. I’m presuming that if I were to order the boxed version a key would be included? Sorry if this seems bitter, but it comes across as a way to punish long-time Steinberg customers. I’m really not trying to be unduly cheap or anything, but there should be some kind of option to have Steinberg send us a key at no cost, even if it’s just upon request.

Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I’ll end up buying a new key, because launching Dorico is becoming unstable with the old one, it seems.

The difference between the download price and the boxed price for Dorico is basically the cost of an eLicenser (which you get “free” with the boxed version). If you’ve been depending on a dongle since Cubase 4, that’s presumably about 12 years. If it makes you feel any better, I’m on my second eLicenser in three years - the previous one bent after a while.

I’ve done this. A bit daunting but I figured it out without too much pain twice: once when I upgraded to v.2 and again when I got my new Mac.

Daniel,

You are the best! Thank you so much! Yeah! I’ll wait until tomorrow to purchase. :wink:

So I started looking around for a new USB key. $40 + shipping (I’m in Canada). Not at all what I expected. On the Steinberg online shop, there is only one shipping option. They key itself is $39.99. The shipping is…

$43.56

No, that’s not a typo.

That the key is so much is bad enough. That the shipping is more than the key is simply outrageous. Daniel, I plead with you to talk to your team and ask them to lower this price. especially when Steinberg recognizes this isn’t a good system and you’re already planning to move away from it.

Michael - you might want to try Amazon Canada. The shipping cost for a key is $15 CAD.

They are shocking build/quality, the plastic case also seems to go brittle very quickly …
It has been mentioned in forums ad-nauseum if they must persist with it, then build a steel (better quality), like the iLOK or Reason Ignition keys.

…To me : I think "it’s not immanent " translates (in my mind), once the USB connector type-A is deprecated, [ hmm, I still have my DB25-pin Steinberg [ala parallel-port] dongle somewhere… ]

Thanks David - I did look at that, and saw that. Not eligible for Prime, either, of which I’m a member. It’s frankly shocking that the shipping cost is so high for such a small product.

I’m in a small city so no music stores have them in - would have to order them in here, too, or wait until I get to a larger centre months from now.

Am I off the wall for thinking this should be a $10 item?

I’ve no idea what the “real” cost is, but don’t forget this isn’t “just a USB memory stick”, there is actually a small computer inside.

I honestly don’t know what goes into it so I couldn’t comment, but it does strike me that the shipping cost is way over the top for such a small item. Maybe they fulfill it internationally?

ETA: maybe the product cost doesn’t just cover the USB key but also the ongoing maintenance of elicenser?

When I got Cubase, it took over 2 weeks for the key to arrive. I got one on day one from a local music store. Suggest if you need one you do the same, will save on shipping costs and time wondering when the key will arrive.

Steinberg´s products are just great. Wouldn´t change them for any other Music software.
BUT e-licensing??? Sorry.
I have like most, installed and ran 100 apps or more in the last 15 years…By far the most complex and frustrating installation process ever.
Wonder why there are tons of clients’ complaints.

You might find that one of the big chains like Long & McQuade can sell you a new USB-eLicenser at a keener price – it might be worth checking out.

In the meantime, I can provide you with a time-limited license that you could put on your Soft-eLicenser so that you can run Dorico without needing the USB-eLicenser at all on that computer, which would give you 90 days to find a new USB-eLicenser at a better price, if you wish.

Thanks Adrian, that was in my previous post; I’ve already checked on that and there are none locally. Yes, both time and cost are a factor.

Steinberg´s products are just great. Wouldn´t change them for any other Music software.
BUT e-licensing??? Sorry.

Concha, I have to agree. They’ve already acknowledged they’re moving away from the system, so I won’t keep beating the dead horse. Looks like I’m going to have to suck it up and get a new key.

Daniel, thanks for your reply, I very much appreciate your responsiveness (in general, but also in particular on this one!).

You might find that one of the big chains like Long & McQuade can sell you a new USB-eLicenser at a keener price – it might be worth checking out.

I’ve checked. Everywhere is the same price - $39.99 (one of the results of everyone offering price-beat guarantees - they’re all exactly the same.) And shipping from pretty much anywhere is about $15 (except from Steinberg). So I’ll be figuring out how to pick one up in a store sometime down the road. Obviously I have concerns about the price of the product itself, but it’s a lot less than switching software (and to be clear, I think Dorico’s amazing), so I’ll pay it. But to me that shipping cost is simply unacceptable so I’ll find a way around that.

In the meantime, I can provide you with a time-limited license that you could put on your Soft-eLicenser so that you can run Dorico without needing the USB-eLicenser at all on that computer, which would give you 90 days to find a new USB-eLicenser at a better price, if you wish.

This, I very much appreciate, and I accept. It won’t help me find the key at a better price, but it will help me avoid unreasonable shipping charges. Can I transfer the license from one computer to another? If not, I can live without that for a time until I can get a new key.

It will also provide a good test case to see if it is in fact the old USB key that’s the issue. Through all of this, it seems like it is, but we haven’t actually verified it, so in my mind, this should do that. I just sent you a PM with my account info.

Thanks again.

I have the same errors occurring - I haven’t used Dorico before (newly downloaded yesterday) , but do use Wavelab and Cubase Artist. My USB dongle has Steinber written on it, rather than eLicense. Does that mean it is even older? Should I get a new one, as I do get occasional issues with it when using Wavelab and Cubase.

Just a quick question about that: is elements running with the soft-licenser as well or does it require the dongle like the pro version? As SE runs without a USB dongle, I’m considering purchasing a secondary elements license for my laptop while the 30% deal is on, but the dongle is too long to have it permanently in the laptop and otherwise, I will definitly lose it as I’m travelling too much.
By the way: I understand that with the current model, you don’t allow a license at home and with the laptop (you know, carrying the dongle around doesn’t count for me, it simply doesn’t work for me). I’d find it a compromise if there was a model like pay initially for two full licenses and then pay once for every update to update both keys. Esepcially if the secondary key is a lesser one like elements.

The error messages displayed are identical to those depicted by Jochen 11 in his initial post. They come up since I have updated to 3.1 two days ago.
I did the maintenance run in the Control Center, to no avail.

I have attached a screenshot of the eLicenser window because of the “SeL” entry in the Dorico field. Does it mean I have a soft license? When I click on the Soft eLicenser button on the left, it doesn’t show me any licenses. So what is the SeL in the Dorico field good for? I never confirmed that a license be stored as a soft license.

Edit: I have a €300 Win10 laptop at my disposition on which I had installed DP3 out of curiosity. I updated to 3.1 and started the software. It opened immediately, the dongle worked like a charm. No error messages. Is the latest problem rather Mac-related?

tadaaa…

Now I get a Dorico SE splash screen – and nothing else happens.
Hard to face, but I am utterly unable to open and use DP3.1 on my MBP. And unwilling to pay for another dongle knowing that the current dongle is working fine on my cheapo laptop and knowing that Steinberg is working on something hopefully better.