ELicenser Problem

I’m trying to upgrade to Cubase 9.5 from Cubase 8. I get a pop up window at installation saying,

ELicenser Control cannot be installed because operating system is too old.
Minimum system is Windows 7.

But that’s what I’m using - Win 7. I have all updates installed, including .net framework 4.7.

Can anyone advise?

Hi,

Try to uninstall eLCC and reinstall it as an Administrator, please.

The problem is not with the ELicenser app. It’s with whatever licensing stuff Steinberg intalls when installing Cubase 9.5. Cubase 8 won’t open now either.

I’ve downloaded and reinstalled 9.5 again but get the same result.

Then some important component, which is necessary for Steering installers, is missing.

Do you have the latest eLicenser Control Center installed?

Yes I do.

I’ve tried everything. Now I’m updating to Win10 on a new SSD
No response from Steinberg after submitting a ticket 5 days ago.

I know of only two reasons why this error message would show up:

• the Windows system has been damaged in some unusual way and is reporting an incorrect version number that is “too old”.
  • The eLicenser Control installer was forced to run in a “compatibility” mode.

Please download the latest eLC installed from http://www.elicenser.net, then open the installer’s “Properties” dialog and check the “Compatibility” page.

There is a checkbox “Run this program in compatibility mode for” that must not be activated.

If you’re inclined to further investigate, you could locate the eLicenser Control installer’s log files located at

%PROGRAMDATA%/elicenser/logs

There are two entries “windows_os_name:” and “windows_os_version_number:” that will tell you which version was actually detected by the eLicenser Control installer.

Thanks Dirk - the compatability mode issue solved it for me!

The problem is not with the ELicenser app. It’s with whatever licensing stuff Steinberg intalls when installing Cubase 9.5. Cubase 8 won’t open now either.