Eliminating double b's and #'s in engrave mode with transposed parts

Is there a way to get rid of double sharps and flats in engrave mode with transposed instruments without having to go back into write mode in the concert pitched score and muddle about?

No, you can’t change the pitch of notes in Engrave mode.

In Write mode, you can filter notes by pitch and also set key commands for double sharps or flats (Filter notes from selection>change etc). This may make it a bit easier.

You can even filter multiple notes at once.

I can’t find the “Filter notes from selection”. I’m sorry, very new to this.

Sorry, just saw your reply.

1 Like

Sorry, that was more of a guide on a process and not “click this”. Does the previous link help?

Also (how to filter):

Sorry for all the posts but you can also adjust notes enharmonically, without having to create key commands:

1 Like

Ok, I’ve found the “Filter notes by pitch” dialog.

I’m still trying to work through this idea of filtering, and I’ve had mixed results. I’ve read through some things re: filters, but… I’ll keep messing around with it.

I am trying to get my written A# (concert pitch) in the score within an alto sax part to show as a G natural instead of an F## in engrave mode once transposed.

I’d like to keep what I have in the part because it reflects the chord tones better (an A# in an F#7 as opposed to a Bb in that F#7).

Respelling notes in the score will affect parts as well. Respelling notes in parts will only affect the part.

1 Like

Got it! Went the “Respelling notes” within the part/layout in engrave mode direction.

Thank you!

1 Like

Dang it. I’ve run into a tied note, and it won’t do this in engrave.

So we’ll go the filter way.

Once I filter all of those A#'s in Write mode, what should I do next?

Thank you for your patience.

According to the manual I linked to, it’s Alt/Opt+= to change to the note name above. Does it work?

Yes! Back to the “Respelling notes” within the part/layout in engrave mode.

When I tried it before, it wasn’t letting me click on the tied note head. I just zoomed in and was more specific with my clicking! LOL

Thank you!

1 Like

I am not a programmer so I don’t know how hard this would be, but it might be nice to have a global command to convert all double sharps and/or flats in a given score or part to its enharmonic equivalent.

Have you tried (on a copy of the file) transposing by a perfect unison and checking the box to avoid double-sharps and flats?

4 Likes

No I haven’t! Cool idea!