I’ve been having this problem for quite some time now, and have been testing out all possible solutions I could think of.
Cause: Loading a custom template with prepared and connected VST’s effects and routing, saving it (re-save or new file) and exiting program
Symptoms: windows Error dialog and close. This makes cubase forget the recent projects and any preferences changed in the last session. Not to mention it makes cubase look and feel unstable.
What I’ve tried:
- re-saving the template (same problem - crash)
- remaking the template from scratch in case the project file got corrupted (same problem - crash)
- removing every effect/vst/vsti vendor by vendor (for example, all compressors from voxengo, all EQ’s, etc.) and re-saving the template (no single plugin is causing the crash)
- closing the project windows before exiting cubase (same problem - crash)
- removing/closing each vst/vsti one by one before closing the project (the last plugin removed causes the crash, no matter which plugin it is)
- Trying the template in both C5 and C6 (same problem - crash)
- Tried in both x64 and x86 cubase 5/6 versions (all plugins used in the template have both x64 and x86 versions) (same problem - crash)
I’d also like to mention that my PC is rock solid stable, working flawlessly on a fresh installation of win7 SP1. I also have over 12 years experience in PC, DAW software and hardware troubleshooting, so 99.99% of possible typical causes are covered. All the plugins used in the template are high end, popular, regularly updated and compatible with both x64 and x86 versions of cubase (specifically: NI kontakt, omnisphere, access virus ti).
After almost 6 months searching for the solution, I’ve found it to be caused by cubase and NOT by the plugins, but the exact cause eludes me.
Any help is appreciated.