Empty Bars (Again?)

Hello, Fratveno!

Which mode are you in, when you do this? I am in Write mode, but all that happens is, the “notes” are deleted, but not the bars. :confused:

You have to be in write mode, you can’t delete anything in Engrave… select the initial barLINE :slight_smile:

Yes. I want to delete bars 9 and 10. I Click on the barline at the beginning of bar 19, do Shift-B, type -2, press Enter, and only the “notes” disappear.

Something isn’t right.

In the mean time, how do I upload a video of the process I used? Do I use Drop Box, or one of those?

You can stick something up on YouTube and make it unlisted, then send the link here, or indeed stick something up on Dropbox and post the link.

Thanx, Daniel! I opted for YouTube …

Try Trim Flow now… :slight_smile:

How does that work? I see it in the Write menu in Write mode, but I’m not having any success with it.

How it works, in depht, is beyond me, but it should get rid of empty bars at the end of flows. I suppose it might have to do with the hairpin… could you try to remove that first?

Is this one part of a larger multi-instrument score? It looks like you might be trying to delete from the flute --part-- in which case only the notes disappearing makes perfect sense. You cant have less bars in a part than in the master score. If you don’t want those two measures, you’ll have to delete them from the master score. (And sorry if I’m mistaken. If this score is for solo flute then that IS odd! :unamused: )

Romanos401, you may be onto something.

Wouldn’t a quick fix be to create a new flow, copy the music, paste into new flow, delete original flow?

Romanos401 has a point. I was too sleepy to try it. I’ll do so later this afternoon.

Thanx, Romanos401!

While I do think Romanos401 has pinpointed the problem, a lingering hairpin will indeed prevent the “empty” bar where the endpoint resides, from being deleted. Just tried it :slight_smile:

Here is more detailed info on what Frank is talking about:

It’s such a relief to know that I wasn’t the only one.

Daniel, we need a ROFL Gremlin. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes; the hair pin was indeed the culprit.

On the other thread, I can see a poll coming up, to decide whether or not to allow deletion of bars in spite of hairpins or other content. I, like the impending pollster say, “Yes”. We can easily replace a hairpin or whatever other items are there.

This is fun; and funny! :laughing:

I’m glad you were able to find the culprit (and that, strictly speaking, it wasn’t a bug!)

Not a “bug”, a “quirk”. :slight_smile:

I agree, this is something several people have run into with 1.0.30 (even more if they ‘shortened’ some markings in engrave mode). We improved this for 1.1, so ‘delete bars’ at the end of a score will also shorten dynamics, gradual tempo markings, octave lines etc, which would currently prevent ‘Trim Flow’ from doing its thing.

"Tis a beautiful solution! :smiley: