End of Hairpin attaches to Next Note/Rest

When I select a bunch of Notes and Insert Dynamics, the end of my dynamics attaches to the next note/rest.

Shouldn’t it just attach to the last selected note?

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 12.34.47 PM.png

The gradual dynamic (hairpin) always attaches the full selection. The final immediate dynamic (mf in this case) always attaches to the rhythmic position immediately after the end of the gradual dynamic, but if there is no note at this location then it automatically moves visually to the left (but is still rhythmically attached after).

It’s predicable and consistent, and working as designed, but may not be what you’re used to if you’re coming from different software.

Make sure that your selection is one note shorter before entering the dynamics, and you’ll get what you’re expecting.

It’s a predictable action, but I’m gonna be honest, even after a year and a half, this one still gets me too. I think it’s the inconsistency between creating hairpins and slurs that trips me up. Click one note, hit S, a slur goes from the selected note to the next. Click one note, Shift-D, <, a hairpin goes from the selected note to the next. Similar action, similar result. Select two notes, hit S, a slur goes from the first selected note to the second. Select two notes, Shift-D, <, a hairpin goes from the first note past the second to a third unselected note. Similar action, different result.

I know it’s been mentioned and requested a zillion times, and the action is entirely predictable once you know how it works, but I’d still prefer for slurs and hairpins to work in a similar consistent manner and have a user option to have the hairpin go to the last selected note rather than past it.

Semantically they’re not quite the same, though. A slur goes from the end of one note to the beginning of another. A crescendo to the end of the a note goes to the end of a note, not to some arbitrary division before the end of the note (unless you’re specifying that).

I know, I guess my instinct when inputting is still “I want a slur from this note to that one,” and “I want a hairpin from this note to that one,” not “I want a hairpin from this note through that one.” I still screw this up at least once a project. Guess I’m a slow learner, LOL! I’d still would like to see an option to have a hairpin go to the last selected note rather than through. Maybe most people here wouldn’t switch to that setting, but I definitely would.

1 Like