Ending dynamics misaligned when placed before crescendo

Hey all,

This may already be a known issue, but I wanted to bring it to your attention nonetheless. When I add a dynamic marking meant to be at the end of a hairpin marking, the ending dynamic appears misaligned once I add the first dynamic and the hairpin in front of it. (See below photo)

This behavior, however, does not happen when I place the dynamics linearly from left to right, either as individual dynamic markings or combinations of the dynamic phrase in the popover. This is what I expect from the first operation, and what I think is correct. (See below photo)

Is this the intentional expected behavior, something that should be tweaked in my settings somewhere, or just a bug that needs to be fixed on your end?

Thanks in advance,

For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed a similar behavior only recently. Adjacent dynamics should be grouped by default and therefore vertically aligned, but when I add them retrospectively, they aren’t aligning.

Welcome to the forum, Andrew. It is intentional in as much as the program will only append dynamics together automatically if you create them from left to right and not from right to left. Partly this is for simplicity of implementation and partly to reflect the fact that, more often than not, dynamics (like the music itself) are indeed entered left to right. In case you’re not aware, you can select the dynamics and group them together via Edit > Dynamics > Group Dynamics.

Thanks for the info… I had only recently noticed this, so I assumed it was perhaps a change in a more recent update.

Great, thanks! The grouping mechanic is new to me, but with time I’m sure I’ll be able to utilize it well instead of being confused by it. And thank you all for the warm welcome! :slight_smile: