Engrave mode disappeared!

I am a new user on the 30 day trial trying to learn the ropes and move over from Sib 8.0. Trying to figure everything out and all of a sudden, Engrave mode went and DISAPPEARED. Why?? How can I get it back??

see: disappearing engrave - Album on Imgur

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, cantoryakov. Please go to the Help menu (or the Dorico menu on Mac) and choose About Dorico. Does it show “Dorico Elements” or “Dorico LE” at the top of the About dialog instead of “Dorico Pro”? If so, it sounds like an eLicenser issue to me. You should find that simply quitting and restarting Dorico is sufficient to put things right.

quitting and restarting worked to restore the function. thanks though

Hi! Unfortunately in my case quitting and restarting did not help. Today in the middle of working on a project I realized that the Engrave mode was missing; Ctrl-3 does nothing and as you can see in one of my screenshots the option is missing from the pull-down menu. I’m using the latest Dorico Pro (registered yesterday). What should I do?

Close Dorico.
Open eLicenser Control Center (which will have installed along with Dorico) as Administrator.
Let it run its maintenance tasks.
Reopen Dorico.

If your license is on a USB eLicenser, it’s worth trying a different USB port.

Thank you very much, pianoleo! That indeed did the trick!

Hi I just started the free 30 day trial of Dorico 3.5. One of the main reasons I wanted to use dorico was because of it engrave mode. I do not have a engrave mode tab anywhere. I have also already completed the steps previously stated. Please Help

Welcome to the Dorico forum.

Did you download the trial version of Dorico Pro? The lower versions (Elements and SE) do not have Engrave mode.

If you do actually have the Pro version, holding down one of the modifier keys (alt/opt, ctrl, shift, cmd - I’m not sure which does what) while starting Dorico enables a user to open Dorico as Elements or SE. I have occasionally pressed one of these keys inadvertently while opening Dorico and received a surprise.

1 Like

Also make sure that you actually entered the trial license code into the Elicenser.
This is something I have to admit I forgot once myself…

If there’s a license in the Elicenser (dongle or soft), it should startup as Dorico Pro unless you hold down any modifier keys, as stated above.

Also, make sure you don’t press any modifier keys while opening Dorico.

Jesper

Welcome to the forum, Herbie! In the Window menu there are commands to hide and show all of the zones. Also there is ⌘0 to hide them all temporarily and restore them as they were. (Read Ctrl for ⌘ on Windows.)

Just today I tried ⌘6 to hide the toolbar for the first time. A space saver!