Enharmonic spelling again

Hi all,

I think there must be something with my settings that is wrong. Have a look at this, G-clef, one sharp:

I cannot find any reason to why the Algorithm would choose to use d flat and a flat in this phrase. When I run the “Respell Notes Automatically”, they change into c# and g#, but this routine is not foolproof either…
My setting in Input Options is to allow retroactive adjustment.

Any ideas? I run into this all the time, and as I keep my eyes on the source rather than the screen I do not want to adjust manually as I go along – and the behaviour is very unpredictable, sometimes Dorico gets it right, sometimes not, and I can never be sure whether it will choose a certain spelling or not. If the spelling was set to always produce # for instance, I would know that each flat would need an extra keypress when entering the notes.

1 Like

It’s been reported in the past that Dorico seems to make enharmonic spelling decisions based on the concert pitch version of the music even if you’re inputting to a transposed layout. Could that be what’s going on here?

No, the screenshot is from a flute part. It just seems as if the key of the piece is not taken into consideration.

What is the key of that staff at that location?

He said 1♯, so looks like a passage in the dominant of G major. I tried entering these notes and I did get A♭ until I played the A♮, and then it changed to G♯. But D♭? I can’t imagine why.

Don’t have Dorico, but this is an interesting case nonetheless.

Maybe the algorithm prefers to rigidly remain within key and spell the seventh of the dominant as a diminished fifth of the key currently assigned to the signature? I can see how a descending chromatic step would fool it so.

I wonder what happens then if one tries to write a fugue with a real answer.

We need to see what’s in the other parts.

I gave it a try and got C# and Ab.

I believe Dorico uses their own implementation of David Meredith’s PS13 for accidental spelling. I don’t have time to look this weekend, but perhaps there are some clues there.

One thing to bear in mind is that Dorico’s approach to spelling during note input is different for MIDI step-time input than it is for real-time MIDI input (or MIDI import). The latter does use something a bit like PS13, though it isn’t actually the same algorithm. I’m not sure which is being discussed in this thread, and possibly different posters are discussing different things.

1 Like