I’m trying to add finger snaps to a score. Here’re the steps I follow to fail at this task:
- Setup view - I add a solo player and assign “Finger Snaps”
- Play view - The instrument gets created but with no VST assinged
- I select the “HALion Sonic SE” VST, and map to a channel with “[GM 129] Stereo GM Kit”
- The percussion map from the VST’s Endpoint Setup is “Yamaha XG”
- The Yamaha MIDI has “Finger Snap” assigned (I think) to note 19, so that sound should exist
The sound that actually plays is some sort of wood stick.
Regardless of how much of the above is the correct way to achieve the right sound (though I’d like to know what is wrong), this highlights some confusion I have about unpitched percussion. Even with instruments that sound correct (e.g. snare, kick drum, hand clap) I can’t see how they are actually mapped to the correct MIDI note beyond perhaps name.
I hope this makes sense. Describing something you’re confused about can sometimes just sound… confusing.
Thanks so much for any help!