EQ/Filter Transition

On p. 356 of the manual it says, under the MixConsole Functions Menu,

EQ/Filter Transition
Allows you to change the EQ/Filter Transition mode from Soft to Quick.

I don’t understand what that means, “soft to quick?” :question: How does this work?

IT means they are german and doesnt know that Soft/Quick are not the appropriate words to use in that case :slight_smile:

But the setting changes from a slow/soft reaction when a parameter is changed rapidly to a quick/hard transition (IMO the quick transition is still to slow).

Okay, what’s the transition? Is this for some kind of EQ Automation? I’m still not clear what this actually does.

Yes it is when automating EQ.

When I think EQ Transition, I’m thinking DJ’s and EDM going between 2 different songs. So is this essentially the same thing going between 2 different scenes in a film?

I dont know much of how djs work so I couldn’t say. Have you never used automation?

Sure, all the time. But I generally use it to turn FX on and off, pan them, volume rides, etc. I’ve never used automation on EQ, hence all the questions.

Wow. It’s truly fascinating how we do things different.
Automation of eq ,pan and level are the most important part in automation in my workflow.

Well, you’re mixing film. I’m a composer/music producer. So, I’m only mixing the music, totally different!

So, could you talk me through using the EQ Transition? I couldn’t make it do anything. How is it applied?

I don’t see a difference either… Have no idea how it works…

As was explained, it’s whether the change is fast or slow. Perhaps another way to think of it is doing a hard (quick) cut between two events or a slight crossfade (soft) between them.

I understand the explanation. I’m just neither hearing nor seeing a difference.

It is very easy to see.
Turn on auto r/w on a track with some type of broadband signal (i.e. music or pink noise)
Make sure the eq is on and all bands enabled.
Use loop and punch to create static setting within a range or just automate while playing, choose different eq presets on the fly.
Change transition setting betwee the two settings and listen.

You will clearly hear the difference. One response is slow to react and the other is faster.
If you still can’t hear it the changes may not be drastic enough. Do a hi cut or a Lo cut using the eq for example.

Hmmm… it’s what I did except I didn’t use white noise, and I didn’t hear a difference. With white noise it’s clear though. I wonder when I’d ever use the slower change though. It seems to me there should be a function where we can select ourselves over what range the change happens, and if we don’t use that function it should be pretty much as fast as possible without any noticeable artifacts.

I fully agree Mattias. I really can’t see the use for the slow transition what so ever (the fast is still to slow). Unfortunately slow is default. That can get really annoying…

In some cases, a fast transition can produce a click while the EQ is switching. I had this problem and have researched it for months until the head developer found the issue. Compare it editing without zero crossings. Most of the time, there will be no problem, but once in a while, you’ll get a pop or click. Same thing. Reason why the defaulted to slow transition.

Fredo