Equipment needed for newbie

My son writes his own music and would like a way to record his stuff easily. He’s a keyboard player and reasonably IT-proficient. I use Cubase Pro myself and I’d like to get him an iPad with Cubasis. My questions are:

1. Is there any flavour/model of iPad to avoid? Or is there an ideal version? I don’t use iPads myself so I don’t know.
  2. I’m planning on getting him a UR22 audio interface - will that be sufficient? He will likely be recording electric piano and vocals via audio.
  3. He has a Novation Launchkey MINI for MIDI stuff.
  4. I will buy him a microphone of some description - any recommendations? Under £100 for preference.
  5. Assuming all cabling, is there anything I’ve missed?

Thanks in advance.

Edward

1 Like

Hi @Zwa,

Thanks for your message.

The current iPad models should work fine to produce decent music with Cubasis. If possible, please make sure to buy an iPad model with sufficient device storage.

In regards to the audio device, please check if the UR22C Recording Pack could meet the requirements. Alongside, the UR22C comes already bundled with Cubasis LE, Cubase AI, Wavelab LE and dspMixFx.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Lars

1 Like

Thanks Lars - that’s very helpful!

Hi @Zwa,

Thanks Lars - that’s very helpful!

Thanks for your message, glad to read this!

Alongside, it might be of additional help for you and your son, to check out our available Getting started with Cubasis tutorial, where Dom Sigalas demonstrates the main features of the app, while creating a short track.

Stay safe
& best wishes,
Lars

1 Like

Excellent idea Lars - my son learns almost everything from YouTube etc. so I’m sure that will help!

Great & thanks @Zwa!

A friend has suggested an Android tablet instead of an iPad (cheaper). Are there any pitfalls to avoid? Any recommended models? I assume they will work just as well with the UR22C Recording Pack?

Thanks again

Edward

Hi Lars - I’ve been looking on the forums and it seems as if an iPad is more reliable than Android, with better support, so I think I’ll go down the iPad route.

Hi @Zwa,

Glad to read you’ve found an answer… :slight_smile:

Please note that the UR22C comes bundled with Cubasis LE for iOS.

Cubasis LE can be freely downloaded on the App Store, and can be unlocked from demo mode via connecting the UR22C to the iPad.

Please find out more on our Cubasis LE website.

Stay well,
Lars

1 Like