erasing background for large time signatures

I just purchased the 3.5 upgrade and am checking out the new features (really impressed so far), but wanted to report that the new “erase background behind time signatures” feature doesn’t appear to work for large time signatures.

It does work for crescendos/diminuendos (but only when crossing the time signature’s numerator, not its denominator), and slurs aren’t affected by the erasing at all (as they should be according to the Dorico’s YouTube video on this topic).

Screenshot of a new project attached; should be easy to replicate, but I can post the project if need be.

Also, this is a very insignificant problem, but the way the erasing is done around the “1” of a 1/4 time signature looks a little awkward because of the nature of the glyph itself. If certain glyphs had customized erasing bounds, it would make this feature even better.

Just an update on this issue in case it helps: from looking at an exported PDF (printed by the file) in a vector drawing program, it appears that the erased mask for large time signatures is in fact always the correct size, however it’s consistently positioned too high (it’s bottom-aligned with the time signature’s numerator, not its denominator). This can result in things above the time signature being incorrectly erased, and things within the bottom half of the time signature not being erased at all.

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this one. I’ve now looked into this and can confirm that this is indeed a bug when large bracket-centered time signatures are top-aligned. We’ll fix this in the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Not a problem at all – thanks for being so thorough. This is truly one of my new favourite features in Dorico…

Dear colleagues,

I would ask you. Now in 2021 is the issue solved? I tried that in my score, but unsuccessfully…

From the July 2020 Version History, it appears that it has, starting in Dorico 3.5.10.

Hi,

I would like to ask you about some ideas on how to make erase background for large time signatures in this case /collision with waves and T.S./

Snímka obrazovky 2021-02-14 o 10.27.13 Snímka obrazovky 2021-02-14 o 10.27.28
Yes, I tried the Engrave settings - Time signature - Erase background…

what do u think ?

1 Like

Unfortunately there’s currently no way to achieve this, but we’ll think about how we might be able to implement it in a future version.