Error importing musicxml (from Cubase)

Hi,

I am trialling Dorico but import will not work, moreover export in Cubase 9 has serious errors.

I only have 30 days, please help

What format(s) are you trying to import? XML is the preferred import format for Dorico.

Hi Derrek,

I have had no luck at all unfortunately.

I tried MIDI import and the result is gross over-quantization so for me, it is not very useful at this stage.

I then tried importing the .mid file into MuseScore and exported musicxml from there and into Dorico, so while improved it is still partially quantized.

When I use only MIDI files I don’t have this problem but of course I need VST support and on that front, Dorico doesn’t support VEP6 (only the first MIDI channel on the first bank) so again is of limited use.

It’s probably been asked already but Rewire would be good but I can’t see that happening and I really don’t want to use anything else if I can avoid it.

The score in Cubase is workable so I will keep going with that for now but I also did not see any notes in Play mode of Dorico either so I’m afraid it’s not looking good thus far but thank you for asking.

In an article about using Finale, Hollywood arranger/conductor Tim Davies recommends doing one’s quantizing in one’s DAW, since DAW’s (pro level) provide more extensive/granular quantizing tools than notation programs do. I expect he would give the same advice for those importing DAW material into Dorico.

The video I reference is at Extreme Australian Orchestrating - YouTube on YouTube.
Tim’s very useful site is at http://debreved.com/.

Thank you for the links.

Editing in the Score does make for compromises sure, and many are welcome but for my way of working, the only thing I quantize is drums, and while I can probably live without drum editing in Dorico; the fact that a free program is doing a better job in my case is not very promising for such an expensive application (mind you, any professional Scoring option is a similar price).

Cheers

If you’re finding that things are overly quantized when importing to Dorico (or anywhere else) you need to look at the settings you’re using to EXPORT.

Dorico isn’t making decisions about quantizing; Cubase is.
You’ll likely have more luck on the Cubase forum than this (Dorico) forum.

Leo, you’re not completely right: Dorico does do some quantizing during input, and at the moment we don’t expose any options specifically for quantizing as part of the import process, though we may in the future. Dorico tries to clean up note durations and to interpret tuplets using a probabilistic method, but it’s still at an early stage of development and it’s quite likely that there will be material that will trip it up.

However, cubased, the advice you’ve received in this thread to quantize in your DAW before you export is good advice: and if you’re coming from Cubase I would even go so far as to suggest that you use the display quantize option in the Score editor in Cubase to get the notation looking basically as you would expect, then export MusicXML from Cubase and import that into Dorico.

My apologies. I’ve never seen anything apart from explicit note values when importing MusicXML files in Dorico. That said, I’ve probably never presented Dorico with an XML containing particularly weird note values.

For the avoidance of doubt: Dorico doesn’t quantize MusicXML files (because, as you rightly say, all of the note values are declared explicitly in MusicXML files), but it does quantize MIDI. The OP in this thread is talking about both MIDI and MusicXML (including taking MIDI from Cubase, importing it into MuseScore, then exporting MusicXML from there to import into Dorico, which is not a workflow I would recommend).

Also it would be very helpful if you could attach a representative section of the MIDI export so we can look into why it doesn’t import well.

Hi Paul/Daniel, others

The problem I am having is Cubase has Serious Errors on exporting of musicxml so I cannot even hazard a guess as to why so I’m using MIDI at the moment.

I am quantizing on MIDI export and there are similar “issues” even with Sibelius so I guess it’s a common issue but were Cubase not to have this problem then I’d not have started this thread.

Thank you

If you could provide a few more details about the “Serious Errors” that Cubase is talking about – what are you doing, what is happening, what error messages are appearing – then we can try to give you a hand.

I can’t export musicxml from Cubase 9, and nor can I import from Forte.

Serious Error on both occasions. Also, Windows asking about administrative permissions when both programs are open.

There is not much information to give, it’s just a dialog that points to a Crash Dump file, which is of course Cubase related but I wanted to use the programs together, since Cubase does not allow a complete Score copy from project to project, I thought I’d try another program but I’m not having much luck thus far and am looking for alternatives at present.

I will try downloading a MIDI file from the web and see what happens but since I am having problems with MIDI import as well it means the program is not usable at present.

I’m on Windows 10 if that helps at all but now Dorico won’t open so I can’t test MusicXML from any program to Dorico.

It sounds like you’re having some very unusual problems, to the point that I wonder whether there’s something not quite right with your computer? For Cubase, Forte and Dorico all to be having problems with exporting and importing files suggests that maybe there’s some kind of problem with the way Windows is set up on your machine, e.g. the permissions of the folders you’re trying to save to, or something like that. I know it can sound reductive, but have you tried restarting your computer to see if that sorts things out?

Daniel,

There’s no problem exporting and importing musicxml between Forte and Sibelius, only when Dorico is involved there are problems and with Cubase and Dorico they don’t work in terms of xml import/export.

In fact now Dorico won’t load, so I’ve uninstalled it. Cubase is fine of course but I tend to think Dorico is not really up to par in terms of the latest Windows updates, which I have.

Remember, Microsoft is very particular about XML, after all they were the original proponents, and it’s not the first time there have been issues with Music XML and Steinberg products.

I’m sorry I can’t be more positive but nothing has worked for me and the fact the trials are arbitrary in terms of days/hours does not help and means I will likely not purchase as I have found Forte fits my needs because I can use external synths, no need to worry about VST when I’m only scoring.

Thanks for the effort in trying.

What version of Windows are you using? If you are beta testing an upcoming OS, that has been known to cause difficulties before (and Steinberg has published a warning about moving to the next Windows update too early).

We’ve tested Dorico internally on the preview versions of Windows and not experienced any problems (aside from a OneDrive issue which we have a fix for in the next update). You haven’t given us enough information to help us solve the problem, eg a copy of the file that doesn’t import, or a screenshot of the actual error message, or the diagnostics produced by Dorico. The most likely problem is that you have an MusicXML file with some invalid data.

Hi Paul,

I read that Dorico cannot import MIDI correctly in any event and that there will always be errant quantization so that’s something for your devs to look at.

As for importing, remember I can’t even export MusicXML from Cubase so are you asking me to do it from another program?

I have re-installed Dorico, I will try and get a log but I’m rather apathetic at this stage because I can’t even press notes on the keyboard in Play which one would think should be basic, and yes Forte doesn’t do it either but that’s an old application.

Re: invalid data, Cubase barely exports the file at all and has a Serious Error but I will get that for you if it’s any help.

My DAW is very solid, I have a feeling it’s Microsoft enforcing DTD on my system, which is great for security but doesn’t help with interoperability.

Cheers

@Derrek, it’s not an Insider build, just the creators update but I pretty much allow MS to do whatever they please any my system is rarely offline.

Yes, I am about to upgrade to a computer with Win 10 and I worry about the results of surprise OS updates.

What do you mean by ‘correctly’? If the MIDI is already quantised then the import should be more-or-less correct. If it’s not quantised then the application has to do a lot of interpretation to work out what was intended. We know that there’s still a lot more we can do to improve this in Dorico, but it’s something that we try to improve all the time. For instance the next update has a split point for grand staff instruments. If you have a specific MIDI file that imports badly then please let us know about it.

As for importing, remember I can’t even export MusicXML from Cubase so are you asking me to do it from another program?

Windows asking about administrative permissions when both programs are open.

Re: invalid data, Cubase barely exports the file at all and has a Serious Error but I will get that for you if it’s any help.

Are you sure that you are exporting to a directory that you have write access to? If you have a more specific error message then that would be useful.

I have re-installed Dorico, I will try and get a log but I’m rather apathetic at this stage because I can’t even press notes on the keyboard in Play which one would think should be basic, and yes Forte doesn’t do it either but that’s an old application.

Which keyboard? Are you talking about the display at the left of each track? If so then it’s not intended that you press notes on that keyboard. It’s there just to display the pitch of the piano rolls

I have a feeling it’s Microsoft enforcing DTD on my system, which is great for security but doesn’t help with interoperability.

This will have nothing to do with DTDs. That is only significant when importing a file when an application enforces schema validation. If the file is invalid then the application won’t open it.