Error message at startup (Windows Vista)

Hi Philippe,

first big congrats on the new release,
I was instantly hooked by the trailer - there seems to be a lot work involved
into the redesigned GUI.
I immediately bought the upgrade, but …

So far I’ve used WaveLab Elements 7 and later version 8 on Windows Vista (64 bit)
with no problems (installed via the actual installers (.msi)),
thoughI know Win Vista isn’t offically supported.
(To my surprise I even got Cubase Pro 8.5 working, which I didn’t expected somehow…)

But this time I’m out of luck - after successfull installation, after starting
the application I only get this error message from Windows:

“The Procedure entry point K32 GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll”

Well…
I don’t know anything, if it’s a big deal or not to provide a fix for this,
maybe you don’t care, maybe it’s not possible at all,
but I thought asking won’t hurt, before I decide to either stay with version 8 or
eventually may go through the work of installing an new OS (and all the other stuff).

Kind Regards,

Frank

Windows Vista is not officially supported by WaveLab.
But I am not sure this is the problem. If you look for GetProcessImageFileNameW on google, you will find many (non-WaveLab) users with a similar problem. Maybe you find a solution there?..

Thanks, but most search results are reffering this error message to psapi.dll, not KERNEL32.dll - except
for this Developer blog on msdn.com:

http://i1.blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2009/08/27/windows-sdk-v7-0-v7-0a-incompatibility-workaround.aspx

which I think describes the reason for this error message and even provides a workaround.

But it’s up to you as a developer, if you’re willing to implement this workaround into WaveLab,
there is no way for a user to get around this issue - except installing a newer OS.

Kind regards,

Frank

It’s difficult to modernize an application and be compatible with very old OS.
Your case is an illustration.
This is why…
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/specs_downloads.html

I think it’s more up to you - as a user - to accept reality and stay reasonably current by running a supported OS. This thread would not even be a thought and you would be enjoying the new WL 9.

No offense intended but Windows 7 is light years better than Vista and I am at a loss to understand why anyone would remain on that OS in 2016.

VP

I think it’s more up to you - as a user - to accept reality and stay reasonably current by running a supported OS. This thread would not even be a thought and you would be enjoying the new WL 9.

No offense intended but Windows 7 is light years better than Vista and I am at a loss to understand why anyone would remain on that OS in 2016.

VP

No offense intended, but I am at a loss to understand why anyone needs to post a (not very helpful) comment on this topic.
I kindly asked PG and he kindly responded - and I accept reality and his answer - Thanks, Phillipe !
Case closed. So what ?
BTW, calling Windows 7 current ?

Kind regards

Way more current than Vista. More importantly - fully supported by Wavelab 9.

Kind regards.