Evaluating Dorico - Help with Expression Maps / Playing Techniques please!

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I’m currently using the trial of Dorico Elements 2, because I heard about the VST support and the Expression maps (for key switches etc).

My issue is that while I can place Playing Technique marks on my score, and I can create Expression Maps, there seems to be a disconnect between the two. What I mean by this is, for example, I’m using “straight mute” and “open” Playing Techniques on a trumpet part, but in the Expression Map I can successfully map “straight mute”, but there is no corresponding “open”. There is “Open 1” and “Open 2” but neither of these seems to work with the “open” Playing Technique.

In general, I am finding it quite difficult to match the two together. Sometimes it’s okay, but most of the time it’s not.

Is there some easier method to figure out what works with what?

Thanks!

What happens if you use nat. instead of open.
(It’s not what we want, but at present it should work, and you can hide the nat. and then write open until the Dorico Team’s work on this area of the program is complete.)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Using nat. works (ie, returns to my defined natural state).

Could you explain how to hide nat. in the score, please?

Select the ‘nat.’ playing technique, open the Properties panel at the bottom of the window, and activate the ‘Hide’ property.

Thank you, that works perfectly :slight_smile: