Even Core Loading

I’m using OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks and I’m wondering is there any way to visually tell what the core loading is using Cubase Pro 8? In Logic X you can click and drag the cpu and disk usage display in the top of the arrange window and it will turn from horizontal to vertical and show all the cores available (on my machine, 8 cores) so you can try to rearrange things to better distribute core loading and I would like to be able to see the same type of display with Cubase so that I’m not in the dark about what’s going on with my core loading and have one core doing all the work while the other 7 just idle along.

Thanks,
Tom

Cubase balances multi-processing behind the scenes and doesn’t show anything extra than the two ASIO meters and the HD meter. There’s no way to control it or see it apart from using the OS (or BIOS) available tools. I used to juggle the plugins on PT HD to free up CPU power but that was because it didn’t dynamically do it itself.

Mike.

Thanks, Mike. So I didn’t simply miss it; it in fact just isn’t there.

Tom

My gut feeling from observations is you get a thread per track as a starting point - so rather than have one instance of Halion or Kontact with loads of instruments loaded - have a separate instance for each instrument - I find this keeps core loadings nice and even - on large projects I see all 8 cores on my (windows) machine loaded pretty evenly. In my quick and dirty test - the overhead was only roughly 60-80 meg per instance over having them all loaded into the same instrument. I’ve only got 16Gb RAM and yet run 25+ instances of Kontact and Halion SE with no problems at all.

The Cubase peak CPU meter shows the utilisation of the currently most-used core, and the other, the average of all the cores.

Beyond that, the only things that are of any value is whether there is any core favouring (possibly indicated by high peak to average ratios), and whether all cores are being used. In either of these cases, the only sustainable remedy is to use something like VEP to force more even utilisation.