Event Colors by Channel in Key Editor

Hi all,

I would like to start using this feature when I work on voice leading (different string parts, for example). So, when I select multiple parts and open them in the Key Editor, until now I used default scheme, color by velocity, witch means that midi note colors are changing with regard to the velocity. Also, color by part works fine as well, but all my string tracks/parts are of the same color and I would like to stay that way because of the main project view.

Color by Channel would be a great solution, but the problem is, when I select that, all midi notes get the SAME color, the first color in the color scheme (which is, by default, red)…So all midi notes in the Key Editor, on all channels/parts are the same. And I would presume that the point is all notes with the different midi channels to be of different color, that way, violins 1 and 2, violas etc., all would be easily recognizable.

From the manual:
“Channel: The note events get different colors depending on their MIDI channel value.”

Am I missing something?

Hi.

It does work when you have one midi part which contains midi notes on different midi channels.

If you select some notes in key editor, what midi channel does it show in info line? (not in the inspector)

You can have a midi track routed to channel xy, but the actual notes may all be channel 1.

Thanks for the response!

Yes, you are totally right. All of the notes are channel 1. But how’s that? I have, for example, 3 parts/midi events selected, all located on their own midi track. Every track has it’s own midi channel. I don’t get it! :open_mouth:

Few questions, if I may:

1.What’s the difference between midi track/event midi channel and the actually note midi channel? Why would midi tracks/events have a different midi channel in regard to the notes?

2.How and why would I change midi note channel?

When you set a midi channel in inspector, all the notes will be sent to an instrument on that channel, regardless of their own original channel.

If you set the channel in inspector to “Any”, they will be sent on the channel they were recorded or written.

Most of the time this doesn’t matter. (the midi channel on which the notes are recorded).You set the desired midi channel in the inspector and you’re done.

However you can record on different midi channels by setting your midi keyboard to send notes on different channel, if you have that option. Or you can change the channel of the notes afterwards in key editor by selecting them and changing the midi channel value in the info line.

Ok, after a bit experimenting, I got this.

However you can record on different midi channels by setting your midi keyboard to send notes on different channel, if you have that option. Or you can change the channel of the notes afterwards in key editor by selecting them and changing the midi channel value in the info line.

But I didn’t get how to make my controller to send notes on different channel. How do you mean “if I have that option”? When I write in the key editor with the pencil, those notes are colored with different color as it suppose to be, BUT, when I play with the midi controller, it all goes to channel 1.

But I didn’t get how to make my controller to send notes on different channel. How do you mean “if I have that option”?

Most midi keyboards send notes on channel 1 by default.
Meaning that when you use a midi keyboard to record your parts, the notes will be recording on channel 1.
Depending on the midi keyboard you use, some let you change the midi channel on which they transmit the notes, knobs, buttons… in their settings or options.

Right! It’s a controller dependent, doesn’t have anything with Cubase. Got it! Fantastic :slight_smile:

Thanks man!