EWQL Play 5.02 VST 3.6!

Wow.

Play is finally VST3 spec.
Just found it last night. Been out since March.

BIG difference in loading times and performance.
It basically allows me to load large Play Templates directly into Cubase instead of using VEP5 (or 6).
And VEP5 does not support VST3 spec VSTis, though it’s own plug is VST3.

If you want to try it just save your Play setups as .awi files, then load the new Play and load the .awi into it.

Just thought I’d mention this here in case anyone missed it.

Hugh

I was ready to get excited… but I was already on 5.01 and the difference (for me) is meh.

I dunno what happened between v4 and v5 but it wasn’t good. Load times are just -dreadful- now.

I believe they only added VST3 with 5.02.

I don’t know that VST3 effects load times but it certainly helps with performance.

You also need to make sure you’re using the right version.
The VST3 version of Play is called “Play” only, not “Play_VST_64” or whatever it was . . . and that old version remains available in my system.

Odd that you’re experiencing WORSE load times.
Using USB3 SSDs on my 64G system a Play instance with, say, 16 different hefty Violin articulations that would take maybe a minute or two to load now takes about 5 seconds.

Hugh

I have a problem with the VST3 version in that it ignores my sustain pedal.

I imagine it’s ignoring all midi CC but I’ve not done testing.

Huh, the exact opposite for me. v5 immeasurably improved performance (I’m still on 5.0.1).

Same here - V 5 has been a massive improvement in all ways here.

So… it’s SPECIFICALLY the VST3 version that is better? The 2.4 version doesn’t do the trick?

TIA,

—JC

So is noone else getting the play vst3 version ignoring #CC’s thing?

Everytime I try to load it it says “A serious problem has occured: Please try to save your project under another name and then restart Cubase”. I load it again (which works), load an instrument which doesn’t play, save and quit. When I try to open the project Cubase crashes.

Oh. And my play_vst_x64 got blacklisted today and doesn’t stay reactivated. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

I believe so, as far as the greatest performance improvements - which is understandable because the VST3 spec allows Cubase to idle the plug when it’s not actually producing a sound.

As to loading times - not sure. Haven’t experimented with the 5x vst2.6 version.

It’s a shame that VEP5 or 6 won’t load VST3 plugs because there are still advantages to using it - most obvious being the ability to leave large templates loaded between projects.

So is noone else getting the play vst3 version ignoring #CC’s thing?

My CC’s work fine.

Everytime I try to load it it says “A serious problem has occured: Please try to save your project under another name and then restart Cubase”. I load it again (which works), load an instrument which doesn’t play, save and quit. When I try to open the project Cubase crashes.

Oh. And my play_vst_x64 got blacklisted today and doesn’t stay reactivated. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

No idea. I’ve had zero problems and Play - any version - has never been blacklisted.

Hugh

Same over here !

Are you sure? I load all of mine into VEPro 5.

Play (5.0) was black-listed upon initial release of C9 in December. EWQL released a fix for it a couple weeks later.

I don’t think so.
Certainly not 5.
Are you sure you’re loading the VST3 versions?
Most plugs also have 2.6 versions, also.

I opened a support ticket with East West regarding the #CC/VST3 issue and they said they were aware of it and it’s going to be fixed in the next update.

5.0.3 out today - any Cubase user reports out there?

EDIT - changelog:

Maintenance fixes and improvements
Restored proper reverb settings
Bug with EMT 240 reverb loading wrong impulse response
Crashes with Ohmicide in Logic
Wordbuilder bug with latin phrases on Mac
Wordbuilder crashes
MIDI CC in Wordbuilder in VST3 plugin
Changed plugin category for VST3 in Cubase and Sonar
Fixed HiDPI display for VST3 in Studio One

Fixed the problem I was having.