EWQL Symphonic choir

Downloaded EWQL symphonic choir gold could not get Wordbuilder to play/record. Checked choir sample files - only 8.6GB, [should be about 40]. My download clearly failed. Upgraded to platinum but library failed to download via the downloader. Raised tickets with EW but cannot contact EW. I have obviously screwed this up, any ideas?

you did make quite sure that the hard drive or partition you want to download to has enough free space? One incomplete or failed download can easily happen but a second starts to look a bit more suspicious. Disk corruption perhaps should also not be totally ruled out until you’ve done a scan. I’ve contacted EW tech support before and found them helpful. They should reply within 48hrs and I don’t think I ever had to wait longer.

I trust you know that each section needs a whole MIDI port. You can’t just use 4 channels in on instance of Play.

HD has 500GB so plenty space. The EW installer offers no download buttons! It does show SC gold active, [don’t know if that means much]. My order for platinum upgrade has disappeared from my account on the EW site so I cannot start from scratch. I have put a couple of tickets in so I am waiting on tech assist.

The Gold Edition of Symphonic Choirs uses 16-bit samples recorded from one microphone position, so the disk space requirement is approximately 9GB. The Platinum Edition uses 24-bit samples recorded from three microphone positions simultaneously, so the disk space requirement is approximately 39GB. These figures come from the Play 6 Software Manual.

ok – this makes sense. I couldn’t understand why the system requirements for the Gold version from the website appeared to be the same, even though it is only 16 bit as opposed to 24 and would expect it to be less, in fact the 8-9Gb would make perfect sense. The Play manual seems to have the correct figure. I have the Platinum so I know that’s correct. But if Gold was installed correctly, there’s still no explanation for the problems – when I put in an instance of Play from my Platinum version, it works exactly as expected from the score.

I mentioned this earlier to @Sailorsailor . Anyway, the actual sample score has only one voice.

In this post @dko22 says “I’ve found the problem – it appears that PLAY v6 is not compatible with Dorico when using Symphonic Choirs.” But in this post @Sailorsailor says “I downloaded Play 5 … from a link in a previous thread … got confused with the UI now back with Play 6.1.9.” If @Sailorsailor is still trying to use Play v6 with Dorico and the Symphonic Choirs, that would explain why he is having problems. I don’t know where he downloaded Play 5 from or why he got confused with the UI, but in this post I show how to download Play 5.0.1, which I have successfully used with Dorico and the Symphonic Choirs, directly from EastWest.

the previous thread was specifically on Play 5v 6 and it was established there that 5 should be used. If it’s not then of course that might be the answer

Based on information gleaned from various topics, I’m beginning to suspect that Play 5 can be used successfully with Dorico and the Symphonic Choirs on Windows but not on macOS. If anyone has managed to get the Symphonic Choirs to work with Dorico on macOS, please reply.

I may have missed threads on this but from what I have read, my impression was that those who were struggling with Play 5 didn’t pursue matters very much so any system differences may not have been thrashed out properly. If it really is a Mac-specific issue then it would useful to get that clarified.

Anyway, my feeling is that this is all transitional anyway as we may well be focussing on Opus before long.

Just picked up your post re V 5 and v6. I followed a link from the forum to install v 5. Downloaded v 5 failed to recognise the UI, panicked, binned v 5 found my way back to v 6 and proceeded to failure from that point. I downloaded, with directions from the tec elfs, Platinum upgrade and OPUS yesterday. I have just begun to figure out OPUS and Wordbuilder. Time will tell.

To restate as simply as pos. in the hope I can resole the issue. I am on PC, Win 10, Dorico 3, and OPUS, [replacing play v 6]. To keep things simple I am using the default word Hallelujah in WB. Everything works perfect when played live on keyboards, [Roland GW8], and also virtual keyboards. On playing back after recording 4 bars of an ascending C the playback only plays the first syllable throughout the 4 bars, [HH]. Pressing playback a second time produces the second syllable, [aaa] and so on. I am obviously missing a step in the process. Thanks to all who have assisted thus far. Correction to the above. Playback on plays syllables hhh, lll and eee

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get Play 5 and 6 to work on macOS: sending logs to Ulf, who identified some component within Play that was crashing. Removing that improved things, but Wordbuilder still didn’t work, and I contacted EastWest who replied:

“I can only recommend to either forego the Wordbuilder, or to use Logic for any tracks which need it.”

I was in discussion with a Michael at EWQL who in fact advised me as far back as when I was still using Sibelius to downgrade to v5 of Play and kindly supplied a link to download 5.0.6. The advice was reconfirmed after I switched to Dorico3. The primary issue with Play 6 is that unlike 5, it requires note-off information which is not supplied by notation software (at least in a form which it can understand) so WB interprets any repeated notes as the same so text quickly gets out of sequence. Both with Dorico and Sibelius, v5 is OK under windows 10. It would be helpful if it really could be clarified by EWQL if on the MacOS platform there is still a problem. Unfortunately, few of their agents have a clue about this sort of thing and it might yet take a while to get to the bottom of this.

this doesn’t make sense to me. The first syllable of Hallejujah is “Hal” and the second “le” etc. Of course the syllables must be separated in the Wordbuilder text – preferably with a hyphen to make it easier to read. If you could possibly sent the test project with SC Platinum and using Play 5, (not Opus which no-one here will be able to read, I suspect) I should be able to open this directly and see what’s up!

I am giving OPUS another day or so to try and resolve matters. [Using ma rEE, the word does not matter but with only 2 syllables the process of testing is quicker]! Both syllables are out of sync and overlapping but this is an improvement. Telling WB when to start/stop each syllable seems to be the basic prob it appears to ignore the note lengths. Is this done with cc numbers? I know where they are but not what they do or how to apply them.

Got some notion of CC numbers now but phrase playing over 4 bars when only 2 bars are written. Moving time bars has no effect Cannot find a Play v 5 to download, [There is someone on the forum with a link but I have forgotten who], and following the last fiasco I am reluctant to change anything. So progress made but still no WB. Looked at WB with Sib 7, [Vid from Euan Smith Music], but loading files appears daunting same source says expression maps are the solution! More mystery!

Here are the links to download Play 5.0.1 for Windows and the Play 5 User Manual to help you understand the user interface.

no, you do not need any special Expression Maps for Symphonic Choirs – it’s fine with the Dorico default to start with (though later when you’re fully up and running, I advise e.g adding a secondary dynamic controller for full dynamic control but don’t worry about this yet!)

As a further incentive to try Play v5 again, here is the Dorico project I used to create my video of The Church’s One Foundation with Dorico 3.5, Windows 10, the Platinum Edition of Symphonic Choirs, and Play 5.0.1:

The Churchs One Foundation.dorico (1.8 MB)