EWQL Symphonic choir

Downloaded file. Sounds like it is playing the choir on top of a continuous drone. This is the case with all voices and individual voices. Clearly something wrong with my playback set up. This is the same result I get with my own files!! I will download Play 5 and give it a go.

Painless downloading of play 5. Almost working. Hangs up at the end with a continuous sound, panic button does not cut off sound.
Untitled Project 2.dorico (837.2 KB)

the @johnkprice file plays back perfectly with my Play 5 setup.

With your project, you have not put a hyphen between the syllables as I suggested earlier. What happens then here is that the notes are short which probably isnā€™t what you want as WB treats them more like entire words. With the hyphens as shown below, playback is as Iā€™d expect. To be clear, that doesnā€™t mean you necessarily have to use hyphens, it can depend on how the music is written

I donā€™t get any ā€œcontinuousā€ sound at the end which sounds more like something to do with your audio setup unless others can replicate.

Play version 5.0.1 is the last version of Play which is VST2 only. To use it with Dorico, you need to follow the instructions on this page of the Dorico manual. Alternatively, you could download Play 5.0.6 for Windows which @dko22 uses and select the VST3 version when installing Play.

Iā€™d completely forgotten (if indeed I ever was aware of it) that 5.0.1 is PLAY 2 only Donā€™t see any particular reason why that in itself should make a difference, though you never know.

Yes - it works. Play 5.0.6 solved the prob. My 2 bar thing works fine and johns excellent ecclesiastical piece sounds just right. I will check things out in detail tomorrow but things look ok. Thanks all for your support and have a good weekend.

time for the champagne corks! Knew youā€™d get there in the end. I posted a Mass using only Symphonic Choirs a while back but the audio was from the Sibelius version as it was originally composed there. I want to have another run though of the Dorico version then it should be possible for others with Play 5.0.6 and SC Platinum to follow the score as well if interested. I havenā€™t yet written anything a capella for Dorico but will in due course.

Premature. Can load and playback Johnā€™s piece ok. Cannot write and play anything with EW, no UI. Only Backup Singers UI with no connection to EW libraries. I have downloaded play 5.0.6 a couple of times but no luck. [There is a strange piece of score copy software from Neuratron calling itself Wordbuilder just appeared in the Steinberg folder - it refuses to be uninstalled. Dont know if there is any connection].

Try opening the standalone version of Play. If you donā€™t see the interface for Symphonic Choirs, click on Settings, click on the Other tab, change the default interface at the bottom of the settings window to EW Symphonic Choirs Platinum, click Apply, click Close, and close Play. Now reopen Play. Do you see the right interface now?

Cannot find Settings!

Here is what I see when I open the standalone version of Play 5.0.1:

The Settings button is just to the right of Main Menu at the top of the window.

Before you installed Play 5.0.6, did you explicitly uninstall all previously installed versions of Play? If not, I would recommend that you open the Windows 10 Settings app, click on Apps, uninstall all versions of Play and OPUS in the list of installed programs, and then reinstall Play 5.0.6.

Thatā€™s it! Play 5.0.6 has done the trick. Thanks again.

Hello. In view of the opinions read, I deduce that the Hollywood choirs cannot be used in Dorico, since they only work with Play 6. In my case I have the Symphonic and Hollywood choirs, which I make them work in Cubase 10.5 from Play 6 , so they cannot work in Dorico 3.5, since in this program only Play 5 works. Does anyone know if it would be possible to install Play 5 and 6 on the same pc to make Hollywood choirs work from Play 6 in Cubase, and Symphonic choirs from lay 5 in Dorico and in Cubase?

Thanks

Iā€™m curious to know if since June '21, anyone has had better luck with EWSC on Dorico Pro 4 (latest version)? Iā€™m very interested because having just learned of EWSC, I like the word builder feature it has.
Iā€™m also interested in what this feature can actually do; Iā€™m working on a project with words in Spanish and isolated phoneme, like ā€œchaā€, ā€œuiā€, etc., and want to know if this could actually be played back in a decent mockup.

Damn it! Good thing I came across this post, my next commission is a choir piece and I was intending on using EW for it! I hope the devs see this:

I did a bit of investigation using VE Pro to channel the choir to both EW Play and an instance of Kontakt using a very useful MIDI monitor multiscript. I realise that Dorico does not seem to send any Release Velocity, which might be the reason why EW does not work.

If I select a staff in Dorico and play with the MIDI keyboard I get this result:
MIDI Keyboard

EW plays correctly and sings all the words! However, if I now let Dorico play it I get this:

Dorico MIDI

I just get the first consonant.

This is true of 3.5 as well as 4.0.31 Maybe @dspreadbury or @Ulf can have a look at enabling this in the next update?

Have you tried hosting EW Play directly in Dorico and playing back the choir? Because that should work since Dorico 4. Iā€™ve fixed that, because in earlier versions Dorico would send wrong PPQ values to Play and therefore it would only ā€œsingā€ the first syllable, similar to what you experience.
But if Play is hosted in VEPro and it does not work properly, then that suggests it is a problem in VEPro.

1 Like

Iā€™ve recently spent months writing new choral works and updating old ones. The current situation is as follows: Wordbuilder on Symphonic Choirs will word correctly with Play 5.0.6 and Play 6 in both Dorico 4 and 3.5 but Play 6 is only supported in Dorico 4. Hollywood Choirs is also only supported in Dorico 4 as it requires Play 6 or Opus.

It is only required to host SC directly in Dorico or under VEPro. Both work (though you may need to work decoupled with VEPro for correct synchronisation). If youā€™re having problems, it will most likely be that something in the setup is wrong ā€“ by all means post a test project and I should be able to see what it is. I assume you have one instance for each choir part?

1 Like

OK, Iā€™m at a lost or I was too tired last night. I can confirm that it works on 4.0.31, but not 3.5. Play 6.1.9 works both hosted in Dorico or via VE Pro. Sorry for the flawed report.

However, Dorico 4.0.31 still does not send Release Velocity. I donā€™t know how important it is or if any library makes use of itā€¦

In all of the videos I have successfully made using Dorico and the EastWest Symphonic Choirs, the MIDI release velocity of the notes is always zero. So I can confirm that EWSC does not need this feature.

3 Likes

Play 6 does not work in Dorico 3.5. Play 5.0.6 does, however.