Ex Maps for Berlin Con Sordino Strings

In case they are of use to any other member of this forum I am attaching the expression maps I’ve just created for Berlin Con Sordino Strings. In my own case I have not changed the default articulation, including their names, in any way. If you don’t use them all or you have them in a different order to mine you will need to make appropriate changes to these expression maps. But it should still save you some work.

Of course extending the playback techniques to accommodate the custom articulation types of sample developers means that anyone using this basic structure must then make decisions about how they translate into playing techniques, whether to add equivalent notation alternatives or ignore some altogether. That’s an individual preference so I decided to leave the descriptions alone. Once that process is complete it might be helpful for forum members to share their final version{s) of expression maps, playback and playing techniques, discuss the conclusions they came to and explain their reasoning.

At times it feels like there needs to be a translation table that cross references sample names/articulations to their equivalent score notation. Dorico gives us the tools to add our own playing techniques but, even though I’m not an orchestrator, I’m very conscious of the fact that eventually what appears in a score must be easily understood by a trained musician. Samples and score notation will always challenge us but imo Dorico provides the best tools to meet that challenge.

I make no apologies for the basic ex map structure attached but it will still save you some effort as you make the decisions referred to above, My next step also is to make decisions on how they translate into playing techniques, using the recommended adjustments in areas such as staccato etc. Have fun.

Berlin Con Sordino Strings.zip (13.2 KB)

1 Like