Exchanging projects including playback templates and endpoint configurations

Hi,

I’m exchanging a Dorico project with a collaborator, and this project has to include the playback.

Opening the project on a system with a different playback template makes Dorico show an error message.

When the playback template is then installed in the target system, the project opens, but the Entries show no endpoint configuration in the Playback Template Editor.

I guess the endpoint configuration have to also be moved to the target device (trying now).

It would be great if a Dorico project could include everything that is needed for playback. Like expression maps, playback templates and endpoint configurations could be part of the project.

If this makes the project too heavy, a ‘package’ command, adding all the needed files in a single bundle, could be a reasonable solution.

Paolo

1 Like

Your use of terms is a bit off and confusing. AFAIK, if another user has the same VST(s) that your project uses, the project file contains all the necessary info (endpoint configurations) to play back the same. Project files are already rather heavy with this info; I don’t think there is anything more they can carry that doesn’t require separate licensing.

Endpoint Configurations are a precise element of the Dorico playback flow. Having the same virtual instruments doesn’t mean one has the same Endpoint Configuration. They have to be programmed, by linking each instrument with a virtual instrument and an expression map, and saved as a set.

Multiple Endpoint Configurations are recalled by a Playback Template.

Paolo

If there is a named playback template then Dorico will attempt to load that on the second machine and bark if it can’t find it. If you don’t use a named playback template and the other user has the same VSTs, it should load fine.

… otherwise, you need to export your playback template and have the other user install it before loading the project.

This is my experience shuffling projects around between 2 machines.